[News] RHEL for Desktops Coming Next Month

  • Subject: [News] RHEL for Desktops Coming Next Month
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 22:34:51 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Red Hat delays new software for PCs until January

,----[ Quote ]
| She said Red Hat was postponing the product's release again because it has
| yet to resolve problems getting the right to distribute software for playing
| music and viewing videos with the Linux software.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071211/bs_nm/redhat_dc_1

Microsoft seems to be playing patent games in order to stifle this. Thank you,
Novell, for nothing. And there are other 'shills' also...

Red Hat corner notes

,----[ Quote ]
| The stupid self-declared "business analyst" Katherine R. Egbert from
| Jefferies & Co. has downgraded Red Hat on "challenges from competing
| technology", thus cutting its rating from "Buy" to "Hold", and reducing the
| target price from $23 to $19.
|
| As a comment on Tuxmachines, Roy Schestowitz opines that «Analysts are paid
| by companies to dig their dirt. She already got one predication [sic] on Red
| Hat totally wrong. In many cases analysts are little more than shills in
| suits. Gartner and IDC for example are funded by Bill Gates and Ballmer
| shouts at them on the phone.»
|
| I would add that, as noted 10 months ago, in Why Would Anyone Believe
| Investment Analysts?!, Katherine R. Egbert is not at her first blunder! She
| has already changed her mind back in February, when she first said that Red
| Hat is affected by the Microsoft-Novell deal and by Oracle's "Broken Linux",
| just to say shortly after that... no, Red Hat is not affected!
|
| Now what? Is Katherine R. Egbert a real business analyst or is she only
| issuing prophecies based on the PMS?
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?page=diary&2007/12/11/12/32/50-red-hat-corner-notes

Related:

Dell's Latitude XT convertible laptop ready to ship

,----[ Quote ]
| In China, it will ship with the Red Flag Linux OS.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20071207/tc_infoworld/93910

Dell beefs up Precision portable workstation line

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell is adding more power to its high-end line of mobile workstations with
| the debut of the Precision M6300, a 17" notebook geared at engineers,
| developers, video editors and others who need to tote around some serious
| silicon.
|
| [...]
|
| RedHat Linux 5.1 will be available on the system in October.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/04/dell_precision_m6300/

Linux for Consumers in the U.K. France, and Germany; Dell/Red Hat Solutions &
More

,----[ Quote ]
| I hinted at this before, but today, it's official: Dell announced that
| consumers in the United Kingdom, France and Germany can order an Inspiron
| 6400 notebook or an Inspiron 530N desktop with Ubuntu 7.04 pre-installed.
`----

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/08/07/23816.aspx

Dell pushes for better Linux drivers

,----[ Quote ]
| Amit Bhutani told a session at the Ubuntu Live 2007 conference that Dell has
| several "areas of investigation" when it comes to Linux.
`----

http://www.crn.com.au/story.aspx?CIID=87745&src=site-marq

Michael Dell: Linux Coming to SMBs, Europe Soon

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2156607,00.asp#471376266180320785