Re: Linux may replace Windows in Amsterdam

____/ Richard Rasker on Monday 10 December 2007 23:12 : \____

http://www.elsevier.nl/nieuws/internet_en_gadgets/artikel/asp/artnr/183201/index.html

> English translation:
>
>  "Linux may replace Windows in Amsterdam
>
>   Monday, December 10th, 2007, 3:02 PM
>
>   In a few years' time, Amsterdam city officials and civil servants most
>   probably will no longer work with Windows. A trial has shown that Open
>   Source Linux software performs better.
>   This according to an article in Het Parool [a major Dutch newspaper].
>   Researchers found that Open Source Linux software "better meets
>   predetermined criteria than the current closed source workplace".
>   Amsterdam initiated the trial in order to end the dependency on a
>   monopolist's products, such as Microsoft's.
>
>   Trial
>   Patent-free Linux software can be adapted to users' desires. For instance,
>   programmers can relatively easily add or alter functionality. In Windows,
>   this is possible only with Microsoft's consent, and for a fee. Linux is
>   free.
>
>   According to Het Parool, the city council spends one million euro on a
>   trial called Open Amsterdam, to research the possibilities. During this
>   trial, an assessment is made to what extent a migration to Linux is
>   feasible.
>
>   Action plan
>   So far, the trial shows that Open Software offers a more extensive
>   fuctionality and better interoperability with other applications. In the
>   second half of 2008, the council intends to make a final decision with
>   regard to a possible migration, writes the newspaper.
>
>   The Dutch government too has shown interest in Open Source software. This
>   week, secretary of state Frank Heemskerk (PvdA) of the Ministry of
>   Economic Affairs has talks with a governmental commission about an action
>   plan of the public sector with regard to Open Software."
>
> Wow! Apparently, our civil servants are smart guys and gals, and not part of
> the sleepwalking herds who blindly follow a convicted monopolist up
> One Microsoft Way any more.
>
> Richard Rasker

Who didn't see this coming? Similar situation in Italy and France. Microsoft
will bully (they call it 'lobby') very hard to prevent this.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   Apache: commercial software's days are numbered
 00:05:01 up 12:53,  3 users,  load average: 0.94, 2.19, 2.24