Re: More on the Bicycle-powered Linux Supercomputers

____/ Rex Ballard on Monday 31 December 2007 15:52 : \____

> On Dec 19, 8:27 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> Linux in more than 90% of top supercomputers
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Other operating systems, such as AIX (4.8%), Solaris (0.4%) and Mac OS X
>> | (0.4%) make the list, but Linux is alone at the top, where it is used in
>> | 459 systems or 91.8% of the top supercomputer systems.
>> `----
>>

> http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2007/11/15/linux-in-more-than...
> http://tinyurl.com/2rponk
>>

> It's a bit ironic.  Linux runs in some of the smallest computers,
> including the OLPC, but it also runs in over 86% of the largest
> computers as well.
>
> That's some pretty heavy duty scalability and performance, as well as
> some outstanding reliability.
>
> Linux is now putting such complex tasks as weather prediction,
> economic forcasting, and even statistical political analysis into more
> and more hands, with more real-time feedback.  These days we can
> measure the popularity of a candidate DURING the debates, as people
> agree or disagree with the candidate.  How long before we have real-
> time polling of a million or more people during public debates?
>
> Microsoft has some nice media editing tools, but Linux clusters are
> widely used to generate real-time complex 3D animations ranging from
> the special effects to Titanic to Shrek to Toy Story series, to
> SpiderMan and Fantastic 4.  I think they might have tried to use
> Windows for the animations in Cat-Woman with Halle Barry, but I'm not
> sure.

The desktops are just that middle tier which Microsoft knows is most /visible/
to Joe Average. At the moment, Microsoft makes little money from bundling
('selling') Windows and far more money from licensing Office. We really need
ODF to thrive.

"I am convinced we have to use Windows – this is the one thing they don’t have.
We have to be competitive with features, but we need something more — Windows
integration."
                --Jim Allchin, Microsoft