Re: [News] GNU/Linux Saves PCs from the Dumpster

____/ Mark Kent on Monday 31 December 2007 13:17 : \____

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/12/vectorlinux_sav.html

> It would be interesting to see an analysis of the carbon footprint of
> eg., using a 10 year old laptop (I'm using a Tecra 8100 in Canada at the
> moment which is running Debian and a 2.6 kernel), versus using something
> like the Asus Eee instead.  On a watts/cycle metric, does an Asus Eee
> offer a smaller footprint?  Or, should we be looking for ARM-based
> laptops to keep the footprint still smaller?
>
> If we still had science departments in our Universities, this is the
> kind of thing I'd hope that they'd be looking at.  Probably they're all
> too busy handing out degrees in hotel management to worry about real
> research now.

The bigger issue is companies that run Universities. This plague has apparently
reached France. Academia becomes a factory (if workforce and 'studies') for
wealthy corporations that sponsor these.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Get the most out of your hardware. Get Linux.
Cpu(s): 25.0%us,  4.1%sy,  1.0%ni, 65.9%id,  3.7%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.1%si,  0.0%st