[News] OLPC Inventions Succeed in Peru, Turn to Commercial Venture

  • Subject: [News] OLPC Inventions Succeed in Peru, Turn to Commercial Venture
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:08:05 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In Peru, a Pint-Size Ticket to Learning

,----[ Quote ]
| But no competitor approaches the XO in innovation. It is hard drive-free,
| runs on the Linux operating system and stretches wireless networks
| with "mesh" technology that lets each computer in a village relay data to the
| others.
|
| [...]
|
| Negroponte said 150,000 more laptops will be shipped to such countries as
| Rwanda, Mongolia, Haiti and Afghanistan in early 2008 through "Give One, Get
| One," a U.S.-based promotion ending Dec. 31 in which participants buy a pair
| of laptops for $399 and donate one or both.
|
| The children of Arahuay prove One Laptop's transformative conceit: that you
| can revolutionize education and democratize the Internet by giving a simple,
| durable, power-stingy but feature-packed laptop to the world's poorest kids.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/29/AR2007122900720.html

Asus Brings On New Eee PC 2Gb And 8Gb Models

,----[ Quote ]
| In many ways, the 2G Surf is meant to compete against the OLPC XO laptop.
`----

http://www.htlounge.net/articles/4823/1/Asus-Brings-On-New-Eee-PC-2Gb-And-8Gb-Models

Turning to profit and real innovation:

OLPC CTO Jepsen quits nonprofit effort

,----[ Quote ]
| The One Laptop Per Child project suffered a blow this week, with Chief
| Technology Officer Mary Lou Jepsen quitting the nonprofit to start a
| for-profit company to commercialize technology she invented with OLPC.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/Comp/1290/olpc-cto-jepsen-quits-071231/

Related:

Lessons to Learn from the OLPC

,----[ Gist ]
| 1- Cheap is good
|
| 2- People don’t need a lot of power
|
| 3- Linux please
|
| 4- Flash storage is key
|
| 5- Make it efficient
|
| 6- Hand crank!
|
| 7- Don’t skimp on the features
|
| 8- Make it rugged
|
| 9- Make it look cool
|
| 10- It’s a tablet, too
`----

http://www.geek.com/lessons-to-learn-from-the-olpc/

One Laptop Per Child (New Version), Reviewed by 12-Year-Old

,----[ Quote ]
| For a regular laptop, this would be the paragraph about its problems, its
| deficiencies. But the thing is, there aren’t any problems with this computer!
| Congratulations, OLPC. You’ve done it. Or will you come out with yet better
| laptops? Is that even possible? We’ll have to see...
`----

http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=1206

On Education, Innovation, OLPC, And Open-Source

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://daveshields.wordpress.com/2007/10/21/on-education-innovation-olpc-and-open-source/