[News] [SOT] RIAA Relies on Your Data Loss, Makes It the Law

  • Subject: [News] [SOT] RIAA Relies on Your Data Loss, Makes It the Law
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 15:29:15 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Download Uproar: Record Industry Goes After Personal Use

,----[ Quote ]
| The industry's lawyer in the case, Ira Schwartz, argues in a brief filed
| earlier this month that the MP3 files Howell made on his computer from
| legally bought CDs are "unauthorized copies" of copyrighted recordings.
|
| "I couldn't believe it when I read that," says Ray Beckerman, a New York
| lawyer who represents six clients who have been sued by the RIAA. "The basic
| principle in the law is that you have to distribute actual physical copies to
| be guilty of violating copyright. But recently, the industry has been going
| around saying that even a personal copy on your computer is a violation."
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/28/AR2007122800693.html

Funny. Bill Gates, co-founder of the company which openly says that it likes
DRM, advised everyone to just rip their CDs. That makes him a 'criminal', as
the MPAA/RIAA call it, with public advice for others to 'pirate' content
(incitement of 'crime'). Well, he has already admitted watching 'illegal'
movies on (Google's) YouTube and installing Firefox, so....

Related:

RIAA files supplemental brief in Atlantic v. Howell; argues personal copies
ripped to computer are unauthorized

,----[ Quote ]
| The RIAA's brief makes the novel contention, contradicting its lawyers'
| arguments at the Supreme Court in MGM v. Grokster, that making personal
| copies of songs from one's CD onto one's computer is an infringement.
`----

http://recordingindustryvspeople.blogspot.com/2007/12/riaa-files-supplemental-brief-in.html

German Supreme Court rejects copyright fee for printers

,----[ Quote ]
| Printer manufacturer Hewlett-Packard has announced that the German Supreme
| Court ruled in a hearing that the firm will not have to pay a flat fee to
| German copyright collective VG Wort to cover copyrights.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/100227/from/rss09

Overly-broad copyright law has made USA a "nation of infringers"

,----[ Quote ]
| Tehranian's paper points out just how pervasive copyright has become in our
| lives. Simply checking one's e-mail and including the full text in response
| could be a violation of copyright.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071119-overly-broad-copyright-law-has-made-us-a-nation-of-infringers.html

Western Digital DRM'd Hard Drive Won't Let You Share MP3, DivX ... Or Impulse
Tracker

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/12/western-digital.html