Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista SP1 Makes It Even Worse

* Roy Schestowitz fired off this tart reply:

> Tests: Vista SP1 worsens HD, network speed
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The looming Service Pack 1 update for Windows Vista has deteriorated the
>| Microsoft operating system's disk and networking performance beyond the
>| already slow launch version, according to a series of tests conducted by
>| Gizmodo.
> `----
>
> http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/12/27/vista.sp1.slows.down/
>
> Vista SP1 a Performance Dud
> Typo leads to Vista SP1 confusion
> Vista isn?t Me2, it?s Win95 + 12 years
> It is time to stop the spread of Vista SP1 misinformation!
> Microsoft: No Rush to Vista SP1

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/vista/what_went_wrong_with_windows_vista.html

   What Went Wrong with Windows Vista?

   December is the month for year-end reviews. We begin our first 2007
   look back by offering 10 reasons why Vista failed to "WOW" consumers
   or businesses.

   Make no mistake: Despite PR assertions otherwise, Windows Vista did
   not meet Microsoft expectations. The signs are everywhere:

   * Windows Vista advertising ended almost as abruptly as it started

   * Microsoft beat the drum a bit too loudly about the number
     of Vista licenses shipped

   * Windows Ultimate Extras became a real dreamscape of empty promises

   * Microsoft already is advancing plans for Vista-successor Windows 7

   . . . Also, Microsoft executives are feeling better about Vista today
   than in, say, March or April. Vista delivered good revenue results
   during Microsoft's 2008 fiscal first quarter, which ended Sept. 30.

   That said, Vista has gotten off to a rocky start, which could have
   been avoided.

This item is a bit interesting to those who believe Microsoft products
offer a "consistent user experience":

   Office 2007 and Vista separated at birth and went to live with
   different families. It's hard to see how they are related:

   * The products take two very different approaches to user interfaces

   * Office 2007 showcases no major Vista capabilities, particularly the
     visual eye candy.

One hopes Microsoft does better on the server side than the client side:

   The ecosystem wasn't ready. It's still not ready for Vista and may
   never be.

Here's one dear to the heart of our dear DFS:

   Microsoft's platform succeeds for one and only one reason: Windows
   allows lots of other folks to make loads of money. The big money is
   in Windows XP, which is widely used, already supported and runs on
   existing hardware.  Microsoft's Windows ecosystem isn't moving
   forward to Vista. It's hanging back where the money is, and that's
   still Windows XP ...

And this guy doesn't even bring Linux into the discussion, at all.

Funny part of a dazed fanboi comment to the article:

   Vista is strong and its penetrating ...

--
Tux rox!