[News] An Early Look at Zenwalk Linux 5.0 and Firefox 3.0 (Betas)

  • Subject: [News] An Early Look at Zenwalk Linux 5.0 and Firefox 3.0 (Betas)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 09:16:24 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
First Look at Zenwalk Linux 5.0-Beta

,----[ Quote ]
| Zenwalk is a Slackware-based Linux distribution designed to be slim, fast,
| complete and beautiful. It provides the latest stable versions for the
| included software and it’s optimized for high performance. It’s not bloated
| like most other distributions as it only provides one application for each
| task, but at the same time, it’s ready for common daily tasks out-of-the-box.
`----

http://www.linuxlove.org/2007/12/28/first-look-at-zenwalk-linux-50-beta/

5 Things You'll Love About Firefox 3

,----[ Quote ]
| New versions of favorite applications are always a little tricky; you want to
| keep up with the times without fixing what ain't broke. With that in mind, I
| took a look at the newly released Firefox 3 Beta 2 to see what we can look
| forward to when the final version ships in 2008.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9054138&source=rss_news50
http://tinyurl.com/32qur5

Quote for the day:

"[I]f you disclose any confidential issues in a non privileged context, you
will be doing the Company a great disservice. All of the audit reports you
have created so far would generally be discoverable in the US . . . and could
be fertile ground for an astute litigator."

                                -Mike Brown, CFO Microsoft in an E-mail to
                (afterwards fired) chief internal auditor Charles Pancerzewski

Related:

Review: Zenwalk 4.8 - Does Easier Mean Easy?

,----[ Quote ]
| Hey folks sorry for the delay, I seem to say that at the start of every
| article but the festive season has caused havoc lately. Anyway, I've been
| running Zenwalk 4.8 almost a week now and it did give some me more time to
| get a feel for it. I'd been told it was Slackware without the hassle, I'd
| even been told it was good for new users. Could this be true? Here's how I
| got on in my week with Zenwalk...
`----

http://adventuresinopensource.blogspot.com/2007/12/review-zenwalk-48-does-easier-mean-easy.html

Zenwalk Live 4.8

,----[ Quote ]
| One of my favorites, ZenWalk, just released Zenwalk 4.8 Live. Both Zenwalk
| and Vector — the top Xfce-based, Slackware-derived distributions — are very
| good, but I like the way Zenwalk looks and works just that much better.
`----

http://thectrlfreak.wordpress.com/2007/11/19/zenwalk-live-48/

Zenwalk Live 4.8 Released!

,----[ Quote ]
| With great joy the Zenwalk Live Team presents Zenwalk Live 4.8. This new
| release features the speed, stability and usability of Zenwalk Gnu/Linux with
| several new features geared towards Linux Live CD users. From the beginning
| our goal was to make this the best Live CD ever and it makes us proud to
| offer it to the world.
`----

http://www.zenwalk.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=67

Zenwalk 4.8 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| I am just in love with xfce based distributions; they are fast, simple and
| elegant and Zenwalk is no exception. It has a really good control center and
| out-of-box multimedia support.
`----

http://simplyjat.blogspot.com/2007/11/zenwalk-48-review.html

Releases : Zenwalk 4.8 is ready

,----[ Quote ]
| The Zenwalk Team is happy to announce the Zenwalk 4.8 release.
|
| After several release-candidates, it seems that we are ready for a very
| stable release. Overall, testers have found Zenwalk 4.8 the fastest version
| ever.
`----

http://www.zenwalk.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=62

ReviewLinux.Com: Zenwalk 4.8 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| A quick look at the new Zenwalk 4.8 released on October 6 2007. This
| Slackware based Linux OS was a pleasure to look at and test. Several images
| guide you through the install and a short flash video at the end to show you
| Zenwalk 4.8 in action.
`----

http://www.reviewlinux.com/?m=show&id=7529

Getting more comfortable with Zenwalk ... and a touchy touchpad

,----[ Quote ]
| So all in all, I'm enjoying the $0 Laptop and Zenwalk. And my touchpad
| training.
`----

http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2007/09/getting_more_comfortable_with.html

Firefox 3.0 Beta 2 Is A Win For Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla has released the latest beta of Firefox 3 today, and the Linux
| efforts behind it are starting to show even more. This release, being a beta,
| is surprisingly stable. Here’s the killer that makes this beta release
| amazing: true GTK support.
`----

http://fosswire.com/2007/12/20/firefox-30-beta-2-is-a-win-for-linux/

Closer Look: Firefox 3 Beta 2 Release

,----[ Quote ]
| Other touted features new to this beta release include better handling of the
| programs memory which will improve system and browser performance and a
| feature called Place Organize which allows you to more easily organize and
| search through bookmarks and browsing history.
`----

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/006096.html

So When Does the Final Version of Firefox 3 Arrive?

,----[ Quote ]
| According to the notes from the Mozilla status meeting on Tuesday, December
| 18th, the code freeze date for Firefox 3 Beta 3 will be January 22, 2008.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2007/12/so-when-does-th.html

Firefox 3 Beta 2 - faster and easier to navigate

,----[ Quote ]
| I've just downloaded and had a casual fool around with Firefox 3 Beta 2 and
| I'm told that it has approximately 900 improvements over the previous beta,
| including fixes for stability, performance, memory usage, platform
| enhancements and user interface improvements. However, what it boils down to
| is that it's even faster than the Beta 1 version and it is even easier to
| navigate.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15865/1023/

Firefox 3 Beta 2 review

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla has released the Firefox 3 Beta 2. As expected, this release is more
| about polishing the long list of features and improvements introduced during
| the previous nine milestones (eight alphas and a beta). But, as usual,
| there’s room for some noticeable changes.
`----

http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2007/12/firefox-3-beta-2-review/

Firefox 3 beta 2 Arrives with More Speed and Fewer Bugs

,----[ Quote ]
| The speed is phenomenal compared to Firefox 2 and with the second beta out
| the door Firefox 3 is shaping up to be the best browser since, well, Firefox
| 2.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2007/12/firefox-3-beta.html

First look: Firefox 3 beta 2 officially released

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall, it's another very impressive release that reflects the
| rapidly-growing robustness of Firefox 3. I've been using the nightly builds
| as my primary browser for some time, and I've been very happy with many of
| the new features. The quality of beta 1 was so high that it even managed to
| convert a few skeptics. The second beta further refines the experience and
| brings us closer to the release candidates.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071219-first-look-firefox-3-beta-2-officially-released.html

Mozilla QA Seeks Pre-Release Testers for Release Candidates and Developer
Builds

,----[ Quote ]
| "Our community is a valuable resource, and we hope to build a network of
| trusted testers who we can count on to help us make the web experience great
| for all of our users."
`----

http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=22780

Firefox 3 Beta 2 Arrives As Mozilla and Microsoft Jostle for Security Crown

,----[ Quote ]
| Firefox 3 Beta 2 was released on Tuesday, featuring several new security
| features.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205100785

Personas from Mozilla Labs give Firefox a sleek coat

,----[ Quote ]
| I probably won't use Personas much myself since I greatly prefer the
| unadulterated GTK look in Firefox 3, but the addon is very intriguing from a
| technical standpoint. The way that Personas takes Firefox's Internet
| capabilities and leverages theme to bring dynamic content to the Firefox
| chrome layer is very creative and it reflects a lot of possibilities that I
| had never previously considered.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2007/12/16/personas-from-mozilla-labs-gives-firefox-a-sleek-coat

Update on the Firefox 3 Linux Theme

,----[ Quote ]
| Work on the new linux theme for Firefox 3 is progressing nicely due to a very
| active group of contributers. To match the operating system’s theme,
| Firefox’s navigation toolbar will use native GTK icons.
`----

http://blog.mozilla.com/faaborg/2007/11/13/update-on-the-firefox-3-linux-theme/

“Beautiful” tab switching for Firefox 3

,----[ Quote ]