[News] Desktop Linux Wins Regardless of Markets, Peers

  • Subject: [News] Desktop Linux Wins Regardless of Markets, Peers
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 05:43:38 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Winning by not competing at all

,----[ Quote ]
| How I drove my brother nuts was that I did exactly what my mom said. I quit
| competing. I started working on my inner geek, while he was off trying to
| figure out why I didn't engage anymore.
|
| This is why Linux makes MS nuts.
|
| Linux / Open Source et al does not compete with MS. They don't care about the
| issues MS cares about. Sure there are certain corners of the Linux world...
| even entire distros that try to compete with MS, but at the end of the day
| Linux/OpenSource (L/OS) is about whatever they are interested in.
|
| Where MS is in part about things like Digital Rights Management and piracy of
| their code and the like, L/OS could collectively not care less. The very
| beginning of Linux is a microcosm of the whole thing: Linus Torvalds needed
| an OS for something at school, and so he wrote one.
`----

http://on-being-open.blogspot.com/2007/12/winning-by-not-competing-at-all.html

Quote for the day:

"There’s been absolutely no change in operating system market-share, there’s
been no change in office productivity suites market-share, no change in the
management, the style, or the practices of that organization, and this has
nothing to do with the DOJ case."

                                --Scott McNealy

Related:

Soviet Microsoft: How Resistance to Free Markets and Open Ideas Will
the Unravel the Software Superpower

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2007/12/13/soviet-microsoft-how-resistance-to-free-markets-and-open-ideas-will-the-unravel-the-software-superpower/#more-1347