Re: [News] VMWare Made GNU/Linux Highest-priority Platform

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 16:13:56 -0500, Linonut wrote:

> * Erik Funkenbusch fired off this tart reply:
>
>> On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 08:07:29 -0500, Linonut wrote:
>>
>>> You sure about that?
>>>
>>>    http://www.petri.co.il/5_ways_to_adminster_esx_server.htm
>>
>> Well, certainly, you can get into the console and command line it, and most
>> things are available that way, but it's pretty cryptic... even for Linux
>> users.
>
> I thought that page also mentioned a Web interface.

The Web interface only allows you to start and stop VM's, it doesn't allow
you to configure the server or the VM's.  It's very simplistic.

>>> I bow to you, Erik.  You're the only guy I know who can quote out of
>>> context even with the context present! <grin>
>>
>> Obviously an idle machine has an idle CPU, does it not?  That's like trying
>> to say "The car is idling doesn't mean the engine is idling".
>
> A computer can be sitting here apparently idle, yet still doing a lot of
> things.

He didn't say "apparently" Idle, he said Idle.  As in, Not doing anything.
His point was in the context that single-purpose servers are under-utilized
and are left idle, thus any argument about "apparently" idle defeats the
point.