Re: [News] Low-end PCs the Entry Point to Desktop GNU/Linux

On 2007-12-25, Rockinghorse Winner <rockinghorse@xxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:

> A few years ago, Fry's Electronics used to offer el cheapo pc's with
> Linspire pre-installed.  I haven't seen them advertise any for quite a while
> now.  Does anyone know why they discontinued their Linux offerings?

No *knowledge* of why they'd discontinue it. But my *opinion* is that
Linspire is such a dud that the meachines probably weren't selling very
well.

Every machine that I've seen sold with only Linspire as an option has
been low-end hardware with very limited capability. Anybody buying any
of the machines I've seen advertised would assume linux was amateurish
because the graphics capability was, the gaming capability was
terrible, any audio or video processing stank, etc. Sure they'd be good
for checking email and writing letters. Not a lot more than that,
though.

I knew a guy who bought one and it was total garbage, I don't recall
which machine it was, but I remember it was advertised by Linspire as a
good low-cost machine. It may have been the one Walmart was selling
online for $200 a few years ago.