Re: [News] Dell's Ubuntu Succeeds; Microsoft and CompUSA Hide Scale of Vista Disaster?

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Dell's Ubuntu Laptops
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The non-free drivers necessary to support the modem and the wireless
> | network card were pre-installed. No preinstalled third-party junk,
> | either, which is a refreshing change from Dell's Windows machines.
> `----
>
> http://apparentlymart.livejournal.com/11418.html
>
> On the other hand:
>
> Interesting comment from CompUSA
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Every single one of them he said was returned from consumers... and that
> | they (CompUSA) couldn't ship them back. As he heard, Microsoft wasn't
> | giving credit back for unsold or returned copies... and didn't want the
> | returned figures made public... He wouldn't say that every single one of
> | them exchanged for a copy of Xp, he didn't know if that was true. So, I
> | asked how many boxes did they have. Same glare, followed with a "You do
> | not want to know" type statement.
> `----
>
> http://zerias.blogspot.com/2007/12/interesting-comment-from-compusa.html
>
> No wonder CompUSA had to shut down.

The PC manufacturers can get together and sue micoshaft corporation
for anti-trust in a collective suit. They need to do that
to get out of the bind created by PISTA merchants from micoshaft
forcing the companies to sell what they can't sell - a shoddy product.

No amoumt of legal defense can work for micoshaft if in
they had deliberately shipped an incomplete non-working product
that required may be atleast 2 more years of development.

They could collectively force micoshaft to do fair deals
with ALL or none at all as part of an anti-trust SETTLEMENT so
that micoshaft can't in future go behind their backs to
do anti-trust deal breaking deals with new companies in an
unequal playground.
Its either that or micoshaft will have to pay for all the
trading losses of all the parties in the lawsuit and damages
on top to cover the expenses.

> Related:
>
> CompUSA to close all of its 103 stores
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The consumer electronics store will run store-closing sales during the
> | holidays to get rid of inventory.
> `----
>
> http://money.cnn.com/2007/12/07/technology/compusa.ap
index.htm?postversion=2007120719

> Currys group blames Vista for poor sales
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | DSG, the group behind Currys and PC World, has warned that poor sales of
> | Vista could slash its profits by around £20 million.
> `----
>
> http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/131507
currys-group-blames-vista-for-poor-sales.html

> DSG continues retailer woes
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | DSG, the company formerly known as Dixons, became the latest British
> | retailer to report a drop in profits for the summer months today. But it
> | wasn?t all down to the rotten weather ? this time it was also
> | Microsoft?s fault.
> `----
>
> http://www.managementtoday.co.uk/newsalerts/article/748756
dsg-continues-retailer-woes/

> Dell casts doubts on Vista
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Dell today revealed that it will restore the option to use Windows XP on
> | some of its home systems, marking a potentially damaging blow to
> | Microsoft's hopes for the newer Windows Vista.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | While a popular request through the company's IdeaStorm website, the
> | choice was substantially outnumbered by requests for pre-installed
> | Linux, US-based technical support, and other features -- pointing to a
> | larger general demand for the change. The turnaround may be a reflection
> | of an overall backlash against Vista, observed IDC analyst Richard Shim.
> `----
>
> http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/04/19/dell.casts.doubts.on.vista/
>

> Lenovo offers downgrade from Windows Vista to Windows XP
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | My colleague Stian just sent me this interesting link regarding my
> | experiences with Windows Vista. Since I assume the link will NOT have
> | the visual appearence it has right now for very many more hours (days)
> | I've created a screenshot of how it looked when I went into the site.
> `----
>
> http://jaxed.org
lenovo-offers-downgrade-from-windows-vista-to-windows-xp.blog

> [...]
>
> http://linux.about.com/b/a/257705.htm
>

> I got my Ubuntu pre-installed Dell E520N today!!
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The bottom line so far is that I'm very pleased with the value I g
> | ot with this machine. My first evening of use has been very
> | satisfying. With the dual core processor and gig of RAM it's
> | very, very smooth and quick. Note that I purposefully didn't
> | do anything that required the command line. It's been a good experience.
> `----
>
> http://technocrat.net/d/2007/6/1/20868
>

> Ubuntu Linux on my Dell XPS M1210
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | What I love most about Ubuntu on Dell is the lack of crappy
> | 3rd party software that is typically shipped with their
> | computers. When I bought Dell's in the past I'd basically
> | strip the entire hard drive and do a fresh Windows install
> | so I wouldn't have all those extra programs on my computer
> | which I'd never use. To tell you the truth Ubuntu already
> | comes with too much stuff for my tastes but it's really
> | easy to uninstall unwanted applications in this OS.
> |
> | Just remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it's likely available
> | via open-source.
> `----
>
> http://www.planetc1.com/cgi-bin/n/v.cgi?c=1&id=1180636878
>

> Review of Dell XPS 410n with Ubuntu Feisty preinstalled
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | I received my XPS with Ubuntu today. The first thing I will say is
> | that when the Fedex guy delivered it he asked if Dell was having some
> | kind of liquidation sale because he has delivered more Dells today
> | than ever before. He told me that he had already delivered five and
> | there were eleven more on the truck. (Just throwing that out there.)
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | I think Dell has done a good thing with this system. They obviously
> | made an effort with resolution detection (which was going to be sore
> | no matter what) and did an excellent job of keeping those crapware
> | leeches off the system.
> `----
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2764621#post2764621
>

> Inconvenient truths: PC vs. Mac, Windows vs. Linux, us vs. them, et al.
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The only "modern" PC I have access to is my Dell 3 GHz Pentium 4 with
> | 512 MB RAM, and I'm not at liberty to install anything huge (read: a
> | Linux distro) to the hard drive.
> |
> | I suspect that on a newish PC, the big Linux distributions run like
> | so much buttah and that any speed advantages that an old version of
> | Windows offers is far outshined by the added security, equality and
> | fraternity of free Linux.
> |
> | It's always better to have new, maxed-out hardware -- a luxury I've
> | never had (besides that, I'm too cheap). And it's mandatory to try
> | before you buy. With Linux, it's easy. Once you have a broadband
> | Internet connection and a CD (or preferably DVD) burner and have
> | learned how to turn an ISO into a bootable disc, you have the keys

inconvenient_truths_pc_vs_mac.html

> Can Dell Deliver Ubuntu Linux?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The purchase process went well. Point, configure, click, purchase. At
> | the time, Dell said the system would ship to The VAR Guy by June 12.
> | Any chance of an early shipment? Apparently not.
> `----
>
> http://techiqmag.com/2007/06/08/can-dell-deliver-ubuntu-linux/
>

> No Starch Refreshes Ubuntu for Non-Geeks
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Now that Dell is offering systems with Ubuntu Linux pre-installed,
> | maybe it's time to get up to speed on running Linux on your desktop?
> `----
>
> http://news.digitaltrends.com/news/story/13230
no_starch_refreshes_ubuntu_for_non-geeks

> First look at Dell's Ubuntu boxes
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | One cool feature is the recovery mode, which understandably pulls
> | from a full Ubuntu image stored on a FAT32 partition. Nice touch,
> | and congruent with other recovery systems from Dell.
> `----
>
> http://apcmag.com/6339/first_look_at_dells_ubuntu_boxes
>

> Dumping Windows for Ubuntu Linux
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | First, The VAR Guy's home PC (a Sony system running Windows XP) was
> | running out of steam. Combating spyware and viruses with dozens of
> | patches and bug fixes has become an endless, exhausting battle.
> `----
>
> http://techiqmag.com/2007/05/29
the-var-guy-dumps-windows-for-ubuntu-linux/

> Dell's next step - SUSE Linux desktops?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | There are a couple of good reasons to draw this
> | conclusion. One, if Dell wants to cosy up to a Linux
> | reseller and not put its relationship with Microsoft
> | under strain, then that reseller has to be Novell.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Second, Dell would much prefer to deal with a US
> | company rather than an outsider - and, no matter
> | what Mark Shuttleworth's standing is in the tech
> | community, he is an outsider in the US, certainly
> | not one of the "boys."
> `----
>
> http://www.itwire.com.au
index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12731&Itemid=1091