[News] [Rival] Microsoft and Big Media Commit the Sin of Obsolenece

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft and Big Media Commit the Sin of Obsolenece
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 04:06:12 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
As Go Document Formats, So Goes Video

,----[ Quote ]
|     Similarly, DVDs tend to degrade: according to the report, only half of a
|     collection of disks can be expected to last for 15 years, not a
|     reassuring prospect to those who think about centuries. Digital
|     audiotape, it was discovered, tends to hit a “brick wall” when it
|     degrades. While conventional tape becomes scratchy, the digital variety
|     becomes unreadable.
|
| In contrast, the traditional process for archiving video is reliable and
| inexpensive - a methodology developed after learning the economic lesson of
| carelessness the hard way.  That happened when the ability to deliver dozens
| of channels via cable television created a demand for old video that in most
| cases turned out to be either lost, destroyed, or degraded beyond use.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20071223055232858

It's about OOXML.

Digital music: Go legal, get screwed

,----[ Quote ]
| But let's just say it's a pity that in order to maintain control, the major
| labels insist on shooting themselves in the foot.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/20/robertson_imeem_licensing_comment/

Same issue with proprietary software. Innocent customers get punished and
treated like criminals.

Related:

Publish And Perish

,----[ Quote ]
| Alexander Rose, the executive director of the futurist Long Now
| Foundation, worries about the impermanence of digital information.
| "If you save that computer for 100 years, will the electrical plugs
| look the same?" he asks. "The Mac or the PC--will they be around?
| If they are, what about the software? " So far there's no business
| case for digital preservation--in fact, for software makers like
| Microsoft, planned obsolescence is the plan.
|
| "The reality is that it's in companies' interest that software should
| become obsolete and that you should have to buy every upgrade,"
| Rose says. We could be on the cusp of a turning point, though, in the
| way businesses and their customers think about digital preservation.
| "Things will start to change when people start losing all of their personal
| photos," Rose said.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2006/11/30/books-information-preservation-tech-media_cx_ee_books06_1201acid.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/yyjqoh

Vista expires before it is released

,----[ Quote ]
| If Vienna is the future, what does that make Vista?
`----

http://www.itpro.co.uk/blogs/editorial-blogs/davey-winder/3621/vista-best-before-date-already-expired.thtml

Why OOXML will ultimately fail

,----[ Quote ]
| While it is easy to think that Microsoft wants ISO certification for
| OOXML because ODF has it, what if that isn't the real reason at all?
| If OOXML does manage to become an ISO standard despite all the
| objections, then presumably it will start getting mandated and
| the old binary formats will be deprecated. Then people will
| need to upgrade to the only software that will fully support
| OOXML, which is Microsoft Office 2007. Clever, if there is
| any shred of truth in it.
`----

http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=1480

Force, not value, to drive upgrades - the new Microsoft way (?)

,----[ Quote ]
| Hurray for Microsoft! In an attempt to boost revenues and smooth them out
| (i.e., ongoing annuities instead of purchases clumped around product
| releases), Microsoft has shown a callous disregard for the customer as it
| seeks out its own benefit.
|
| This despite Forrester showing that only 11% of Software Assurance customers
|                                          ^^ [see below]
| plan to renew it. Why? Well, because Microsoft's Software Assurance tends to
| drive up prices. What's not to love?
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9774969-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Businesses having second thoughts about Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Fewer businesses are now planning to move to Windows Vista than seven months
| ago, according to a survey by patch management vendor PatchLink Corp., while
| more said they will either stick with the Windows they have, or turn to Linux
| or Mac OS X.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9028478

Software Assurance Storm Warning

,----[ Quote ]
| In a report to be published today, Forrester Research sees a series of
| customer hurricanes coming Microsoft's way. If they strike, they could wash
| away many Software Assurance contracts. Software Assurance is the discounted
| upgrade option available with Open, Open Value and Select volume licensing
| contracts.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/operating_systems/software_assurance_storm_warning.html

Microsoft's plans for XP