[News] Free, Linux-based Media Centres Defeat Closed Boxes in Terms of Functionality

  • Subject: [News] Free, Linux-based Media Centres Defeat Closed Boxes in Terms of Functionality
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 06:24:46 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linux MCE: All Your Components Are Belong to Us

,----[ Quote ]
| With almost every cable carrier in the US now offering DVRs with their
| subscriptions, there are enthusiasts still out there that need more
| functionality and integration with their every day life. There's even more
| people that could use a cheap, non-subscription based home-security system
| and even more people who just want all of their media easily exchangeable and
| accessible over their home network. Some people just like having one remote
| for their entire media center.
`----

http://www.fastsilicon.com/off-the-wall/linux-mce-all-your-components-are-belong-to-us.html

Related:

Ex-MS security guru to dump Media Center for Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Veteran Microsoft security expert, Jesper Johansson, says he may dump
| Microsoft's Windows Media Center in favour of Ubuntu-affiliated LinuxMCE
| after struggling with Redmond's DRM (Digital Rights Management) software.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Ex-MS-security-guru-dumps-Media-Center-for-Linux/0,130061733,339282399,00.htm
http://tinyurl.com/34as9b

Mythbuntu 7.10: An Excellent MythTV Distribution

| After using Mythbuntu 7.10 extensively, this is the best MythTV distribution
| we have used. This just isn't Ubuntu (or rather Xubuntu) with the MythTV
| packages installed by default and the changed artwork, but the Mythbuntu team
| has driven real innovation into this distribution. The Mythbuntu Control
| Center is the most advanced and feature-rich MythTV control area we have ever
| seen and is certainly a handy utility for any Mythbuntu user. The live
| front-end was also great and worked very well during our testing. At first we
| were unsure of all this automation that Mythbuntu provides, after being used
| to manually configuring MythTV for years and only mild success from other
| MythTV distributions, but Mythbuntu really hits the head on the nail with
| Mythbuntu 7.10. If you're looking to assemble a MythTV setup, Mythbuntu is
| definitely worth considering.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=919&num=1

Mythbuntu 7.10 - Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Mythbuntu is a relatively new Ubuntu derivative aimed squarely at the HTPC
| enthusiasts. The distro consists of modified versions of XFCE/Xubuntu and
| MythTV. While MythTV has always been one of the best HTPC platforms around,
| it certainly hasn’t been one of the the easiest to install. With Mythbuntu
| 7.10, all that is starting to change.
`----

http://lunapark6.com/mythbuntu-710-review.html

XBMC Media Center: Linux port project

,----[ Quote ]
| Currently, a few developers on Team-XBMC have begun the porting of XBMC to
| Linux (and OpenGL using the SDL toolkit). The goal is for this to become a
| full port of XBMC with all the features and functions that are available on
| the Xbox version of XBMC (with the exception of Xbox exclusive functionality
| as Trainers, launching Xbox Games, and such).
`----

http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/index.php?title=Linux_port_project

XBMC recruiting developers for Linux port

,----[ Quote ]
| The goal is for this to become a full port of XBMC containing all the
| features and functions available in the Xbox version of XBMC. This is a
| huge task which is why we are making this public request, seeking C/C++
| programmers to volunteer in assisting us with this Linux porting
| development project.
`----

http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/

Joost on Linux: it's difficult, but possible

,----[ Quote ]
| Although the methods that people are using right now to get Joost
| working on Linux are very hackish, one should keep in mind that the
| Joost developers plan to officially release and support a native
| Linux build at some point in the future. Until then, Linux
| enthusiasts will likely continue working to simplify and document
| the process of getting the Windows version of Joost to run in Wine.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070528-joost-on-linux-its-difficult-but-possible.html

Joost opens online video service

,----[ Quote ]
| Joost, the on-demand online video service backed by the founders
| of Skype, has launched commercially.

Joost for Linux -- Amazing PR response...

,----[ Quote ]
| Thanks for your interest in Joost. Yes, a Linux version is planned,
| but the timeline for that is TBD right now.
`----

http://www.theantiblogger.com/technology/joost-for-linux-amazing-pr-response/

Penguins rejoice: Linux gets TV

,----[ Quote ]
| The wait is over, Linux users out there. We just released the first
| Zattoo client for the operating system of your choice (and that of
| Michael Dell). The main supported distro is Ubuntu 6.10, but the
| package can also be made to work with Fedora Core 6 and OpenSuse
| 10.2 with a little extra effort.
`----

http://zattooblog.wordpress.com/2007/05/08/penguins-rejoice-linux-gets-tv/

Micronas Creates Industry-First With Support of Open-Source TV for PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Today, Linux offers field-proven performance, reliability, andf
| lexibility that -- combined with its cost effectiveness --
| makes it attractive to many OEMs and system integrators.
|
| Micronas partners and open-source promoters the Metzler
| Brothers have pioneered digital television support for Linux.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/070521/0255435.html

Electronics firms plan Internet televisions

,----[ Quote ]
| The new televisions will use Linux operating systems instead of
| Microsoft Windows, it added. That feature is aimed at cutting the time
| needed to boot up and reducing the risk of virus infection.
`----

http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Parody_of_Al_Gore_Film_tied_0803.html#comments

TV Makers to Collaborate on Internet TV Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| The new sets reportedly will be based on the Linux operating system.

European Operators Select Motorola's Linux-Based IP Set-Tops For IPTV
Services

,----[ Quote ]

http://linux.sys-con.com/read/284402_p.htm

Mythbuntu 7.10 - Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Mythbuntu is a relatively new Ubuntu derivative aimed squarely at the HTPC
| enthusiasts. The distro consists of modified versions of XFCE/Xubuntu and
| MythTV. While MythTV has always been one of the best HTPC platforms around,
| it certainly hasn’t been one of the the easiest to install. With Mythbuntu
| 7.10, all that is starting to change.
`----

http://lunapark6.com/mythbuntu-710-review.html

Linux Media Center PCs Review Roundup

,----[ Quote ]
| LinuxMCE vs. MythTV. LinuxMCE is the most amazing thing to come out of the
| multimedia world on any platform, period. But try finding an OEM carrier that
| will sell this amazing product to you, pre-installed. You won't find many.
|
| While the big box stores choose to sell the ever-lame Windows MCE, one
| provider had the guts to step into the ring and truly provide us with a
| viable Linux media appliance suitable for our living rooms. MythTV, while not
| as 'flash-bang-pretty' as LinuxMCE, has been around long enough to find
| itself in the position of being a solid, long-term project with some
| fantastic user and developer support.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2664

Media Portal Xface Skin Version 1.0 | Competition for Vista MCE?

,----[ Quote ]
| One thing about open source software: you never know how people will improve
| it. Take Media Portal for instance. I have tried it but ultimately went with
| BeyondTV to watch TV on my computer. That, however, might change though with
| the release of Xface Skin Version 1.0.
`----

http://www.floppyhead.com/2007/09/29/media-portal-xface-skin-version-10-competition-for-vista-mce/

Remember WMC? Black album cover art

,----[ Quote ]
| It also does too many things on it’s own, which is to be expected from
| Microsoft. XD. It starts to overwrite cover art for every single little puny
| mistake you make in your tags.
`----

http://www.afad.nl/alternate/2007/08/21/remember-wmc/

HP Exits Media Center Business, Drops DEC Line

,----[ Quote ]
| HP is pulling out of the Digital Entertainment Center (DEC) business.
| The company that pioneered the living-room form factor for Media
| Center Edition (MCE) PCs has decided to drop the line.
`----

http://www.cepro.com/news/editorial/18066.html

Microsoft abandons PMCs

,----[ Quote ]
| It seems Microsoft is abandoning the Portable Media Centre, a format
| that was once considered a possible iPod killer.
`----

http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/26957/Microsoft-abandons-PMCs

The various levels of suckage - Windows MCE

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://mynutsandi.blogspot.com/2007/05/various-levels-of-suckage-windows-mce.html

`----