[News] Mozilla Augments Firefox Using Weave, Web Made Richer

  • Subject: [News] Mozilla Augments Firefox Using Weave, Web Made Richer
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 05:32:20 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Introducing Weave

,----[ Quote ]
| As the Web continues to evolve and more of our lives move online, we believe
| that Web browsers like Firefox can and should do more to broker rich
| experiences while increasing user control over their data and personal
| information.
|
| One important area for exploration is the blending of the desktop and the Web
| through deeper integration of the browser with online services.
`----

http://labs.mozilla.com/2007/12/introducing-weave/

Specifying codecs for the web

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia fired a very public shot at the Ogg family with a position paper [PDF],
| calling it "proprietary". It is unclear what Nokia hoped to gain with this
| statement, other than inflaming the community, as Ogg Vorbis and Theora are
| clearly open codecs, with free reference implementations – just the opposite
| of proprietary. In addition, unlike most (or all) other codecs, a patent
| search was done to look for relevant patents for Vorbis and Theora, with the
| Xiph.Org Foundation claiming that none could be found. Some contend that an
| exhaustive patent search is essentially impossible, but most codecs (MP3,
| H.264, etc.) are known to be patent-encumbered, which would seem to make them
| a poor choice for HTML5.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/261694/

Recent:

Nokia to W3C: Ogg is proprietary, we need DRM on the Web

,----[ Quote ]
| But remember, that's not what Nokia is objecting to: they are arguing that
| Ogg is proprietary (it isn't) and that DRM should be part of a Web standard
| (it shouldn't).
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/12/09/nokia-to-w3c-ogg-is.html

Removal of Ogg Vorbis and Theora from HTML5: an outrageous disaster

,----[ Quote ]
| Note that HTML5 in no way required Ogg (as denoted by the word “should”
| instead of “must” in the earlier draft). Adding this to the fact that there
| are widely available patent-free implementations of Ogg technology, there is
| really no excuse for Apple and Nokia to say that they couldn’t in good faith
| implement HTML5 as previously formulated. Throw your own theory here: DRM,
| proprietary control, et cetera.
`----

http://rudd-o.com/archives/2007/12/11/removal-of-ogg-vorbis-and-theora-from-html5-an-outrageous-disaster/
http://tinyurl.com/yp5zm6

Is Nokia Looking for Revenue in the Wrong Places?

,----[ Quote ]
| He proposed that iPod and iTunes was an exception, and would be eclipsed by a
| Nokia/Microsoft (MSFT) partnership in short order.
|
| [...]
|
| That conversation echoes the one that nearly every music player manufacturer
| on the planet has had to date. And Microsoft's DRM and poor business
| decisions has managed to undermine the business of every single one of them,
| especially now that Microsoft's Zune competes with them and yet isn't
| compatible with Microsoft's own PlaysForSure music software.
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/56822-is-nokia-looking-for-revenue-in-the-wrong-places?source=yahoo

Related:

Mozilla's Prism to bring Web apps to desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla now has prototypes of Prism running on Windows with early versions on
| Mac and Linux under way.
|
| Future versions include offline access to information with Firefox 3 and
| three-dimensional graphics.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9805103-7.html

Firefox 3 and Google team up for offline apps

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/118296/firefox-3-and-google-team-up-for-offline-apps.html