[News] [Rival] Macs and Windows Are Driven by Hype, Not Substance

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Macs and Windows Are Driven by Hype, Not Substance
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 08:52:01 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Are proprietary operating systems the future?

,----[ Quote ]
| We live in a world of hype. The closed source companies hype their products
| to the max. The Open source advocates hype everything open source. In the end
| hype is just hype and sooner or later reality sets in. The latest example I
| can think of is the slow uptake of Vista which was a long awaited and hyped
| up offering from Microsoft.
`----

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/are-proprietary-operating-systems-the-future-21345

Related:

Apple planning iPhone shortage

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Apple Insider, Apple has had shedloads of time to
| work out how much real demand there will be for iPhones, yet it
| seems to be deliberately keeping supplies low for the launch.

Then and now: Assessing Ballmer's Vista comments

,----[ Quote ]
| Consider the contrasting tone of Ballmer's comments on stage at the
| Windows Vista launch event three weeks ago:
|
|     "We think in the next three months we'll probably sell five times
|      as many copies of Windows Vista as we ever did [Windows 95] in the
|      equivalent period of time"
|
| [...]
|
| Now compare the comments above with  those he made to analysts
| this past week, as excerpted below...
`----

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/111773.asp?source=rss

Microsoft's field of dreams

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft marketeers now have the problem of selling this whole new
| bag of tricks to the public, while telling them they can't actually
| have it until the end of January. And yes, another, much more
| flamboyant launch is being planned. Maybe they can see if Wembley
| Stadium or the Millennium Dome is available. They both know a
| thing about big promises and long delays.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/30/vista_highbury/

The great Vista gravy train

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft and its adherents would have us believe that the world
| is breathlessly awaiting the arrival of Windows Vista. However,
| many - perhaps most - of us Windows XP SP2 users are grumbling at
| the thought of once again being forced into lining the pockets of
| Microsoft and just about everybody else in the IT industry jumping
| on the Vista gravy train.

Full Disclosure: Windows--New! Improved! Yada Yada Yada!

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,127927-c,vistalonghorn/article.html