[News] Microsoft Compliance in Europe Means Increased GNU/Linux Adoption

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft Compliance in Europe Means Increased GNU/Linux Adoption
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 05:38:11 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Everything you know about networking just changed

| Ironic isn't it? By being forced at lawsuit point to open up its networking
| protocols, Microsoft-style networking is going to become more popular than
| ever. Now, if Microsoft could get its head out of its proprietary hole in the
| ground, it could profit from this sea change in networking. As it is, the
| company will probably only see the harm it's going to do to its proprietary
| software sales.

Bloom off the rose

,----[ Quote ]
| Nearly a year after shocking the open-source community by cutting a deal with
| Microsoft Corp., a primary spike to Linux sales at Novell Inc. has slowed and
| the company has yet to win market share from rival Red Hat Inc.
`----

http://www.bizjournals.com/masshightech/stories/2007/09/17/story2.html?ana=from_rss

Virtualization using open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Finally Advani listed Novell’s advantages in this area including no
| additional cost per virtual machine and the company’s Interoperability
| Agreement with Microsoft.
`----

http://www.expresscomputeronline.com/20070924/technologysenate21.shtml

Red Hat tells EU to sock it to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Monday’s Microsoft ruling is good news for open source and proprietary
| vendors alike. But Michael Cunningham, executive vice president and general
| councel at Red Hat, believes the European Commission shouldn’t let up the
| pressure on the Redmond giant.
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/09/red_hat_tells_e.html

Red Hat’s Szulik comments on EU vs. Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat dropped me a note this morning in response to the European’s
| Commission’s smack down of Microsoft. I don’t know if Red Hat CEO Matthew
| Szulik was toasting champagne while he fired off this response, but it would
| have totally made sense if he was.
`----

http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.techtarget.com/2007/09/17/red-hats-szulik-comments-on-eu-vs-microsoft/

Red Hat Advocates True Interoperability and Competition

,----[ Quote ]
| "Microsoft continues to deny open source providers access to and use of the
| interoperability information that now clearly must be provided. Red Hat
| strongly encourages the Commission to take the steps required to assure rapid
| implementation of a remedy that gives broad and equitable access to Microsoft
| interoperability information to all competitors, including open source
| providers. Red Hat firmly believes that competition, not questionable patent
| and trade secret claims, drives innovation and creates greater consumer
| value," said Michael Cunningham, Executive Vice President and General Counsel
| at Red Hat.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070918/20070918005511.html?.v=1

Microsoft Must Share Code With Rivals

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft lost its appeal of a European antitrust order Monday that obliges
| the technology giant to share communications code with rivals...
`----

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070917/D8RN77CG0.html

Halloween Memo I Confirmed and Microsoft's History on Standards

,----[ Quote ]