[News] A Look at How Microsoft (and Its Shills) Lie About UNIX/Linux Security

  • Subject: [News] A Look at How Microsoft (and Its Shills) Lie About UNIX/Linux Security
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 05:24:05 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Vista vs Mac OS X Security: Why George Ou’s ZDNet Vulnerability Numerology is
Absurd

,----[ Quote ]
| That cult of mediocrity has spawned a dedicated following of enthusiasts that
| are happy to support wishful thinking against reason and buy bad products
| like the Zune out of principle and allegiance to a brand that abuses them. As
| Harvey Lubin noted, it’s a case of Stockholm Syndrome. Microsoft has a nation
| of users brainwashed by nonstop propaganda that rivals the old Soviet Union,
| and is no less interested in keeping them locked inside its Iron Curtain.
|
| [...]
|
| ZDNet Shill Confirms Credibility of ZDNet Shill.
| How does ZDNet defend the business sense of hosting a false report on
| vulnerability numerology, a report Ou already used back in February, was
| corrected on, but then chose to spill out again for more click sensationalism
| now that ZDNet has promoted him from dancing shill to the author of its Zero
| Day security blog? And was nobody else at ZDNet more qualified than Ou to
| misrepresent statistics on Windows security?
`----

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2007/12/21/vista-vs-mac-os-x-security-why-george-ous-zdnet-vulnerability-numerology-is-absurd/
http://tinyurl.com/2bh3vt

Secure enough for the army though...

Apples For The Army

,----[ Quote ]
| By Wallington's estimate, around 20,000 of the Army's 700,000 or so desktops
| and servers are Apple-made. He estimates that about a thousand Macs enter the
| Army's ranks during each of its bi-annual hardware buying periods.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/home/technology/2007/12/20/apple-army-hackers-tech-security-cx_ag_1221army.html

Related:

Critical Vulnerability in Microsoft Metrics

,----[ Quote ]
| This is a small subset of all the vulnerabilities, because the
| vulnerabilities that are found through the QA process and the vulnerabilities
| that are found by the security folks they engage as contractors to perform
| penetration testing are fixed in service packs and major updates. For
| Microsoft this makes sense because these fixes get the benefit of a full test
| pass which is much more robust for a service pack or major release than it is
| for a security update.
`----

http://blog.mozilla.com/security/2007/11/30/critical-vulnerability-in-microsoft-metrics/

Skeletons in Microsoft’s Patch Day closet

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the first time I’ve seen Microsoft prominently admit to silently
| fixing vulnerabilities in its bulletins — a controversial practice that
| effectively reduces the number of publicly documented bug fixes (for those
| keeping count) and affects patch management/deployment decisions.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=316

Beware of undisclosed Microsoft patches

,----[ Quote ]
| Forget for a moment whether Microsoft is throwing off patch counts
| that Microsoft brass use to compare its security record with those
| of its competitors. What do you think of Redmond’s silent patching
| practice?
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=527

Microsoft is Counting Bugs Again

,----[ Quote ]
| Sorry, but Microsoft's self-evaluating security counting isn't really a
| good accounting.
|
| [...]
|
| The point: Don't count on security flaw counting. The real flaw is
| the counting.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/security/microsoft_is_counting_bugs_again.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

2006 Operating System Vulnerability Summary

http://www.omninerd.com/2007/03/26/articles/74

Linux vs. Windows: Which is Most Secure?

http://www.esecurityplanet.com/views/article.php/3665801

Linux Security: A Big Edge Over Windows

The problems with Vista laid bare - What might have been

Why Windows is less secure than Linux

http://blogs.zdnet.com/threatchaos/?p=311

Linux more secure than Windows, national survey shows

http://www.xomba.com/linux_more_secure_than_windows_national_survey_shows

Microsoft Windows: Insecure by Design

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A34978-2003Aug23?language=printer

If Only We Knew Then What We Know Now About Windows XP

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/23/AR2006092300510.html?nav=rss_technology

Why Windows is a security nightmare.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/21/1085120110704.html

The Structural Failures of Windows