[News] Free Software for 3D Graphics Getting Very Attractive

  • Subject: [News] Free Software for 3D Graphics Getting Very Attractive
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 20:47:12 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Free/Open-source 3D Graphics Software

,----[ Quote ]
| 3D computer graphics software refers to programs used to create 3D
| computer-generated imagery. There are typically many stages in the "pipeline"
| that studios use to create 3D objects for film and games, and this article
| only covers some of the software used. Note that most of the 3D packages have
| a very plugin-oriented architecture, and high-end plugins costing tens or
| hundreds of thousands of dollars are often used by studios. Larger studios
| usually create enormous amounts of proprietary software to run alongside
| these programs. But thankfully, there are always free/open-source software
| alternatives that can help produce highly commendable 3D animations like it
| did in the short film entitled “Elephants Dream”.
`----

http://junauza.blogspot.com/2007/12/freeopen-source-3d-graphics-software.html

New pictures.

Related:

Linux in Hollywood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=636VZ_R-NVs

Studios Using Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://linuxmovies.org/studios.html

,----[ Quote ]
| "Linux is the default operating [system] on desktops and servers at major
| animation and visual effects studios, with maybe 98 percent [or more]
| penetration," CinePaint Project Manager Robin Rowe told LinuxInsider.
`----

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/rsstory/57300.html

Apricot Open Game

,----[ Quote ]
| Starting February 1st 2008, a small team of again the best 3D artist and
| developers will develop a game jointly with the on-line community. The main
| characters in the game are based on the short 3D animation open movie Peach.
| At the end of July 2008 the game will be launched. The team members will get
| a great studio facility and housing in Amsterdam, all travel costs
| reimbursed, and a fee sufficient to cover all expenses during the period.
`----

http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2341

Peach Open Movie

,----[ Quote ]
| As a follow-up to the successful project Orange's "Elephants Dream",
| the Blender Foundation will initiate another open movie project.
| Again a couple of the best 3D artists and developers in the Blender
| community will be invited to come together to work in Amsterdam on
| completing a short 3D animation movie.
`----

http://www.blender.org/blenderorg/blender-foundation/2007-plans

Crystal Space 3D

,----[ Quote ]
| Crystal Space is our main project. It is a free cross-platform
| software development kit for realtime 3D graphics, in particular games...
| Apricot is the Open Game project together with Blender.
`----

http://www.crystalspace3d.org/main/Main_Page

Stray Cinema: Open Source Film-making on the Web

,----[ Quote ]
| Stray Cinema invites people to create short films, based on raw footage
| that was filmed in London on a digital camera. The idea is that
| participants download the footage and edit parts of it into their own 2
| minute film.
`----

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/stray_cinema.php

A Swarm and Angels