Re: [News] Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC

____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 19 December 2007 15:33 : \____

> Gordon <gbplinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>><thad05@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>
>>> It must really kill you that Linux is getting indisputable desktop
>>> traction with verifiable sales at retail.  I can come up with no
>>> other explanation for your continued pointless trash-talk.
>>>
>>> Bottom of the barrel, entry level, whatever you choose to call it,
>>> this is exactly how many of predicted Linux would open a wedge into
>>> the desktop market; in that market sector where hardware cost is
>>> reduced to the point that software cost becomes a preeminent issue.
>>>
>>> Thad
>>
>> Exactly. there are some 40% of schoolchildren (who happen to be in the
>> poorest families) in the UK who do not have a computer at home and cannot
>> afford the six to seven hundred pounds (approx) for a fast PC and MS Office
>> software.....
>>
>> DFS again shows his "couldn't care less about anyone except B Gates"
>> attitude....
>>

> DFS is all about taking money from people.  Inexpensive machines don't
> take enough money from people in order to be interesting for him.
>
> OLPC is a fantastic project, and I would love to see those machines
> being rolled out across the UK, unfortunately, we have the dinosaurs of
> Becta in the way, who are determined to keep our schoolkids in the
> dark-ages of unaffordable proprietary systems.

The only way to prevent dinosaurs from defending other dinosaurs is to expose
their motives. Showing the strength of alternatives is another, but how do you
reach the minds of those who keep no track of technology? Therein lies the
challenge.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: the most popular, but not most widespread