Re: [News] Why Microsoft Fights for More DRM

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 09:33:13 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Why Microsoft will fight for DRM
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| In a DRM-free world Windows Media formats are basically dead.
>| Online stores locked out of the iPod because of FairPlay. Will
>| not choose to lock themselves out by using only Windows Media if
>| they use it at all. I think it?s obvious that the people at
>| Microsoft know that. When the number one MP3 player will never
>| support your format, Microsoft is left with a lot invested in
>| something that won?t amount to much. The only way Microsoft
>| can save its investment in Windows Media is to have a DRM
>| Windows Media player that is a run away success. This is why
>| Microsoft will not join with Apple in calling for a DRM-free
>| world. They need DRM so they are going to fight for it.
> `----
>
> http://km.lqz.ca/blog/tech/microsoft-fight-drm/

Microsoft isn't fighting for DRM any more than Apple is.  Neither company
wants to invest so much money into such a fruitless cause if it were up to
them.  The music companies won't release music otherwise, making their
entire platforms useless.

So, Apple and Microsoft come up with new forms of DRM to at least allow
them some level of control over the process, rather than being completely
subject to the media companies.

It works like this.  Apple or Microsoft goes to a media company and says
"We want to include your stuff in our store", they say "no way, not unless
you can develop some way to prevent people from copying it".  What's their
choice?  Give up?  Or create DRM?