[News] Linux PCs Don't Need Anti-Virus, But Windows Phones Do

Sophos changes tack with mobile anti-virus launch

,----[ Quote ]
| Sophos, the UK anti-virus developer, launched an anti-virus product
| for Windows mobiles yesterday. After years of saying the threat of
| viruses infecting mobile devices is over-hyped, Sophos now maintains
| the protection against a "growing number of malware attacks" aimed
| at Windows Mobile is necessary.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/09/sophos_mobile_av/

This is just embarrassing. Microsoft cannot blame market share (popularity)
for this.

When it comes to phones, just like Web servers, Windows is a minority and yet
it gets attacked and compromised the most on the face of it. Even a
well-serviced site can be defaced. This trashes those old arguments that
Windows is only targetted because it's popular
(prevalent/widespread/ubiquitous morelike, as popular has a positive
connotation). Apache is rarely a victim and it is used by 73% of the active
sites on the Web, according to Netcraft (December 2006), links below.

Related:

Windows Mobile flaws could crash phones

,----[ Quote ]
| A security firm has found a pair of security bugs in Microsoft's
| Windows Mobile which, if exploited, could crash phones and other
| devices running the software.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6155141.html

Trend Micro Finds More Windows Mobile Flaws

,----[ Quote ]
| Trend Micro has again discovered flaws related to Windows Mobile.
| Both of the newly found vulnerabilities are flaws in applications
| that ship by default with Microsoft?s mobile device OS.
`----

http://blog.trendmicro.com/trend-micro-finds-more-windows-mobile-flaws/

How to crash a Windows mobile using MMS

,----[ Quote ]
| Security researchers have released proof-of-concept code that exploits
| vulnerabilities in MMS implementations in mobile phones running
| mobile versions of Windows.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/02/windows_mms_vuln/

Microsoft doesn't deny Windows Mobile flaw

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has refused to deny that the most recent version of
| Windows Mobile leaves data poorly secured on handsets.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/0,1000000085,39284532,00.htm

Airscanner Vulnerability Summary: Windows Mobile Security Software Fails the
Test

,----[ Quote ]
| Since developers are not in a hurry to keep their users information
| secure... we feel compelled to publish - with exclusivity granted to us
| by author till August 21, 2006 - an article, that reveals various
| problems with Windows Mobile software from various software vendors!
| This article is a "must read" for any serious user of Windows Mobile...
`----

http://msmobiles.com/news.php/5474.html

Review of Windows Mobile 6.0 for PPC (Crossbow) operating system

,----[ Quote ]
| Regrettably, this world lacks miracles and this case is just another
| proof of that. The system still doesn?t offer support for several
| active windows in Internet Explorer, so that you are limited to a
| single window at a time, also profiles are missing in WM; the office
| applications haven?t been enhanced either. Nor were the multimedia
| tools. What the company has really got to do is keep on tuning
| Office Mobile, extending Windows Live, release Windows Media Mobile
| 11 and so on.
`----

http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/articles/wm-crossbow-en.shtml

Mobile phone security to outpace that on PCs [because Windows isn't there]

,----[ Quote ]
| ...it predicts the biggest mobile security market sector will be in
| the secure mobile content sector (anti-virus, anti-spam, anti-spyware
| and content filtering) with 40 per cent of the total market. The
| security threat doesn't just cover mobile viruses and malware but of
| identity theft, too.

Smartphones get a firewall

,----[ Quote ]
| V3 will only run on the latest Windows Mobile 5 and Symbian 9.1
| systems though, the rationale being that as the market grows so
| fast, they will be the bulk of malware-targeted systems very soon.
|
| [...]
|
| The Windows release is out now and the Symbian one will follow early in
| 2007. The software costs $35 (£20), which includes a year's updates and
| service.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/14/trendmicro_mobile_sec/

Canadian nuclear safety site defaced by hacker

,----[ Quote ]
| The Citizen--which published a color photograph of one of the
| tampered pages--said the hacker had left a message saying "Please
| dont (sic) put me in jail...oops, I divided by zero."
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6157647.html
http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://www.nuclearsafety.gc.ca

Malicious Website: Super Bowl XLI / Dolphin Stadium

,----[ Quote ]
| Websense Security Labs has discovered that the official website
| of Dolphin Stadium has been compromised with malicious code. The
| Dolphin Stadium is currently experiencing a large number of visitors,
| as it is the home of Sunday's Super Bowl XLI. The site is linked
| from numerous official Super Bowl websites and various Super
| Bowl-related search terms return links to the site.
`----

http://www.websense.com/securitylabs/alerts/alert.php?AlertID=733

MSN.co.uk money related websites hacked and defaced

,----[ Quote ]
| Two websites belonging to MSN (Microsoft Network) in the United
| Kingdom, were defaced today by an attacker who goes by the nickname
| "DARK LORD".
`----

http://www.ddosed.com/2007/02/01/msn-uk-money-related-websites-hacked-and-defaced/

Nokia's Windows-based Site Gets Cracked

Screenshot:

http://monarkstudios.ca/hacked.JPG
http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://nokia.ca

Hackers attack Gorbachev's [Windows-based] Web site

,----[ Quote ]
| The perpetrators posted photographs of the suppressed rally on the
| Web site and published an open letter to the former leader, blaming
| him for the deaths of more 130 people -- a tragedy known in Azerbaijan
| as the Black January.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070120/ap_on_hi_te/russia_gorbachev
http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://www.mikhailgorbachev.org
http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://www.gorby.ru

Samsung site hijacked as malware host

,----[ Quote ]
| The U.S. corporate website of Samsung Telecom has been hijacked and
| used to host and distribute malware, security vendor Websense has
| revealed.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=709669709&rid=-50
http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=SamsungTelecom.com

Why Windows is less secure than Linux

http://blogs.zdnet.com/threatchaos/?p=311

Linux Security: A Big Edge Over Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux is better at locking down a computer than Windows. The Linux OS
| uses configuration settings and user permissions to a much more
| efficient degree than the Windows administrator account. To do
| this, non-enterprise users should seek help from third-party
| security suites that serve as configuration managers, James
| Bottomley, chief technology officer of SteelEye Technology said.

Security Report: Windows vs Linux

,----[Executive summary ]
| Finally, we also include a brief overview of relevant conceptual
| differences between Windows and Linux, to offer an insight into why
| Windows tends to be more vulnerable to attacks at both server and desktop,
| and why Linux is inherently more secure
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/security/security_report_windows_vs_linux/

Microsoft Windows: Insecure by Design

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A34978-2003Aug23?language=printer

If Only We Knew Then What We Know Now About Windows XP

,----[ Quote ]
| You can think of Windows XP as a house with a second floor built of
| spackle, wood filler and duct tape.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/23/AR2006092300510.html?nav=rss_technology

Why Windows is a security nightmare.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/21/1085120110704.html

December 2006 Security Space Survey Results

,----[ Quote ]
| Security Space estimates that nearly 90 percent of all Web sites
| are "orphans" to which no other sites link. Its Web server survey
| therefore counts only those servers referenced on other sites.
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/stats/article.php/3652421

Open Source Fights Back

,----[ Quote ]