Re: Russian School Principal and Microsoft

__/ [ peterwn ] on Friday 09 February 2007 23:05 \__

> See:
> http://www.ospint.com/text/d/3935414/
>
> This is a fairly significant backtrack by Microsoft.
>
> However MS said: "In this particular case, it's important to point out
> that Microsoft did not instigate the prosecution against Mr. Ponosov".
>
> However, Microsoft earlier seemed to have no 'problem' with a "A man
> who has devoted his life to teaching and bringing up children [being]
> sentenced to imprisonment in one of the Siberian jails".  In other
> words, Microsoft threw its full weight behind the actions of the
> Russian police (regardless of who or what triggered the investigation)
> until it started to feel a public backlash and the school system in
> quetion resolved to promote Linux.
>
> On a simlar note, an article appeared in the "Boston Globe" last year
> questioning the expenses claims of a public IT official just at the
> time he was promoting open office formats, something that was very
> worrying to Microsoft.  He was totally exonerated but still chose to
> resign - who could blame him?  A bit much of a coincidence considering
> that Microsoft was actively lobbying state politicians concerning file
> formats.
>
> Normally, any police service (even one as convoluted as the Russian
> one) would aim its investigation at the suppliers of dubious goods &
> services rather than a consumer.  Perhaps the principal got up
> someone's nose.  It could not be the education authority, judging by
> its response to go Linux.  Perhaps there was another problem, like the
> education authority refusing to buy a flat rate Windows / Office
> licence as some school systems buy (like the New Zealand Eduction
> Ministry at about $US1 per head of population), and an example needed
> to be made of someone to coerce the authority to fall into line.
>
> Teachers around the globe must surely be concerned when one of their
> innocent colleagues risks being dispatched to the Gualg, and Microsoft
> happily condones such action at least initially.
>

> Who knows?

Something which I read yesterday briefly covered an interview with Microsoft
on this issue. I think it was all in Russian, but the interesting part is
that where Microsoft gets questioned about the move to Linux. Microsoft
avoided the question and instead spoke about how great Windows is. Needless
to mention, there's worry there.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

The Intel-Dell-MS oligopoly/treo can be weakened by competition (Freedom)
Tasks: 129 total,   2 running, 123 sleeping,   0 stopped,   4 zombie