Re: Vista Readyboost...

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Fri, 09 Feb 2007 19:28:52 +0000
<1441283.0v9GF2dUjg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> __/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Friday 09 February 2007 17:45 \__
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Fri, 09 Feb 2007 12:43:59 +0000
>> <2123358.J5r7IXzOVk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> __/ [ Tim Fairchild ] on Friday 09 February 2007 12:24 \__

>>> http://www.tuexperto.com/?p=412
>>>

>> Ouch.  I thought they changed the color? :-)
>
> They actually can stack up the BSoDs to prevent them from taking down the
> system and then present a log. Of course, this does not solve the actual
> problem which should not occur in the first place. Maybe you can present
> BSoDs in 'flip mode'. *smile*

Now there's a notion.  Too bad Amiga could do multiple
screens and flip through them way back in 1984 or
thereabouts. :-)

<nostalgia computer="amiga" datetime="1980's">

I'm not pulling up many screenshots of this capability,
probably because it would be very hard to get screenshots;
the Amiga's display is actually a series of instructions to
display multiple Viewports -- each with its own resolution
and colormap.  There was also a hack or two that made
rainbow fringes or other such on the Workbench screen.

Even the GURU was done by fiddling with the coprocessor
instructions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvet_XY1VJE

was the only thing I could find, and is a very old Computer
Chronicles (1985).  Within it, one can see a game being
pulled down, with the Workbench interface behind it --
about 4:00 or so in.  This doesn't quite do the concept
justice, but is illustrative of the Amiga's coprocessing
power.

Wow...do we have any capabilities now that the Amiga
didn't?  Well, maybe more RAM...a *lot* more.  And
nowadays one could do a lot of things with OpenGL, which
Linux (with Beryl and stuff) do fairly nicely.

Regrettably, the Amiga is now more or less dead (though
it's not buried yet): http://www.amiga.de is its last
known resting place.

Ah, those were the days... :-)

</nostalgia>

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of
elderberries!" - Monty Python and the Holy Grail