Re: [News] The $100 Linux Laptop More Secure Than $1000 Vista Laptop

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 09 February 2007 07:18 \__

>> __/ [ Guy Fawkes ] on Thursday 08 February 2007 19:19 \__
>>

>>> "John Bailo" <jabailo@xxxxxxxxxx> schreef in bericht

>>> They have no choice. The governments of the countries that ordered the XO
>>> are already awaiting for the shipments of the laptops.
>>>
>>> I'm pretty sure that Microsoft will introduce some sort of version of
>>> Windows XP Lite for the XO but it won't have too much impact, in fact if
>>> they don't get it exactly right it may become a centerpoint of ridicule.
>>
>> Botnets on a mesh.
>>
>> They must rebuild their O/S (radical codebase changes) in order to have
>> this accepted by interested countires and approved by field experts. Even
>> security enhancements which were added to Vista are too much of a resource
>> hog (security by adding layers, rather than by design which leans to
>> inherent lockdown). They could never have it fit those specs. Not even
>> with fat memory sticks. If they can't beat them, they join them (Novell?),
>> but what happens when the world (hardware) is not enough? The 'cool kids'
>> will run the original XO.
>>

> Microsoft would have to start with a new codebase for this, I think.
> Perhaps their wince could be made to work on it, but who'd want that
> when you could have linux with all its thousands of apps?

Wince and Windows share the same DNA (codebase), so it'll be as secure as
Windows mobile, at best.

Windows Mobile flaws could crash phones

,----[ Quote ]
| A security firm has found a pair of security bugs in Microsoft's
| Windows Mobile which, if exploited, could crash phones and other
| devices running the software.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6155141.html

Trend Micro Finds More Windows Mobile Flaws

,----[ Quote ]
| Trend Micro has again discovered flaws related to Windows Mobile.
| Both of the newly found vulnerabilities are flaws in applications
| that ship by default with Microsoft?s mobile device OS.
`----

http://blog.trendmicro.com/trend-micro-finds-more-windows-mobile-flaws/

How to crash a Windows mobile using MMS

,----[ Quote ]
| Security researchers have released proof-of-concept code that exploits
| vulnerabilities in MMS implementations in mobile phones running
| mobile versions of Windows.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/02/windows_mms_vuln/

Microsoft doesn't deny Windows Mobile flaw

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has refused to deny that the most recent version of
| Windows Mobile leaves data poorly secured on handsets.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/0,1000000085,39284532,00.htm

Airscanner Vulnerability Summary: Windows Mobile Security Software Fails the
Test

,----[ Quote ]
| Since developers are not in a hurry to keep their users information
| secure... we feel compelled to publish - with exclusivity granted to us
| by author till August 21, 2006 - an article, that reveals various
| problems with Windows Mobile software from various software vendors!
| This article is a "must read" for any serious user of Windows Mobile...
`----

http://msmobiles.com/news.php/5474.html

Review of Windows Mobile 6.0 for PPC (Crossbow) operating system

,----[ Quote ]
| Regrettably, this world lacks miracles and this case is just another
| proof of that. The system still doesn?t offer support for several
| active windows in Internet Explorer, so that you are limited to a
| single window at a time, also profiles are missing in WM; the office
| applications haven?t been enhanced either. Nor were the multimedia
| tools. What the company has really got to do is keep on tuning
| Office Mobile, extending Windows Live, release Windows Media Mobile
| 11 and so on.
`----

http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/articles/wm-crossbow-en.shtml

Mobile phone security to outpace that on PCs [because Windows isn't there]

,----[ Quote ]
| ...it predicts the biggest mobile security market sector will be in
| the secure mobile content sector (anti-virus, anti-spam, anti-spyware
| and content filtering) with 40 per cent of the total market. The
| security threat doesn't just cover mobile viruses and malware but of
| identity theft, too.

Smartphones get a firewall

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/14/trendmicro_mobile_sec/

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Play Othello: http://othellomaster.com
 10:20am  up 17 days 10:38,  6 users,  load average: 0.49, 0.53, 0.72