Re: [News] Symantec on Microsoft's Need for Lack of Security

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Thursday 08 February 2007 19:46 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut
> <linonut@xxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Thu, 08 Feb 2007 06:35:10 -0600
> <sKadnW2sTdRjhVbYnZ2dnUVZ_vDinZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, DFS belched out this bit o' wisdom:

>>> good slam!  Because it's entirely true.
>>
>> And it has /nothing/ to do with operating systems.  You could make
>> exactly the same claim, substituting "Microsoft" for "Linux."
>>
>> In fact, OSS coders have some good reasons to make bug-free software:
>>
>>    o  They use it themselves
>>    o  They want a good reputation
>>    o  They want people to like their software
>>

> And we don't have artificial deadlines. :-)

True. I said this the other day in the context of Debian (delays). Althought
there are users (also commercial ones), there is no company or investors. It
will be released when the developers think it is ready. Premature releases
like Vista lead to many 'high impact' bugs (Microsoft's own words).

Microsoft hasn't liability for security issues, so other than the risk of
losing customers, there is not much to be lost. Yesterday I received some
more sobbing letters from folks whose PCs got suspended for 'network abuse'.
They also need to pay ~$100 fines to get reconnected next month. Of course,
Mircosoft will not be billed for this. They sold an O/S, the investors were
happy(ier), and a few people might even pay annually for Microsoft's
OneCare, which is a weak yet expensive 'bug-fixing' addon. It's a design bug
more than anything....

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

For governments that eavesdrop, here is a quick list of tags: Communism,
Hawaiian shirts, China, Suitcase, Martha Stewart, Encryption, Prison,
Stalin. Thanks for tuning in.