Re: The Feeding Frenzy Is On!

> __/ [ Rafael ] on Friday 09 February 2007 03:56 \__
>> Dimitry wrote:

>>> This group should be renamed comp.os.microsoft.paranoia because
>>> for the most part, that is a good description of the
>>> discussions. It's like a feeding frenzy of sharks in this
>>> group. Tell me, honestly, what would you all be discussing if
>>> Vista never happened?

What's Vista?

>>> So what would you do if there was no Vista?

Er ... same thing I do now; maintain a Linux-powered website with a
Linux powered CMS, write software for Linux and produce RPM packages
for Red Hat and Fedora systems, browse the web and read email and
newsgroups using Linux software, play Linux and Windows games under
Linux, learn Perl and PHP under Linux, run massive batch jobs of video
transcoding projects using Linux software, listen to music and watch
video using Linux software, etc., etc. Did you have something
particular in mind?

To me, Windows is completely irrelevant, and Vista is little more than
a joke.

>>> This group is so far out of touch with reality

Reverse psychology?

You should try coming round my neck o' the woods. In the UK, nobody
cares about Vista. Nobody. Everyone I know who uses Windows is sick to
death of it, and quite frankly scared of Vista, esp. after that WGA
nonsense. Add to that the extortionate price in comparison to the
U.S. price, and Vista is virtually stillborn in the UK. I know quite a
few Win2K users who have vowed that their next upgrade will be Ubuntu.

>>> People don't want Linux.

Unsubstantiated nonsense.

>>> People have ignored Linux

Which "people"?

How do you know how many people have downloaded Linux? There's no
"Till Receipts" with Free software, that you can put on a market-share
chart.

>>> because Linux doesn't offer them anything new or better than what
>>> they have now

Nothing new?

Nothing better?

Well apart from Linux's better security, stability, efficiency, and
standards compliance, a proper ACL inplementation in SELinux, new eye
candy with XGL and Beryl, Linux LiveCDs which even Windows users need
to rescue their b0rked Windows systems, and the flexibility and
do-no-evil approach of Open Source.

>>> but Linux does have the potential to screw up their systems.

Pure FUD.

I was reminded very recently of how frequently and seriously *Windows*
and its applications screw up, after I was given an iPod for my
birthday. I plugged it in ... BSOD. I rebooted, launched iTunes
... HANG. I did a power reset, and did the usual perfunctory "clean
Windows" routine lasting a couple of hours, including a reinstall of
iTunes. Now it (iTunes) runs and works with the new iPod, but v e r y
s l o w l y.

I gave up, rebooted into Linux, launched GTkPod, and synced my music
and (recently transcoded) H264 video collection from an NFS
share. Very snappy, no hiccups, BSODs, reboots, or slow and stupid
behaviour to worry about. Windows is a pig of an OS.

>> Comrade Dimitry

Something tells me that a freedom hating imperialist like "Dimitry" is
no "comrade".

>> http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn.shtml?2007/02/05/234178
>>
>> Article states,
>>
>>> Schools in the Perm region will soon quit buying software from
>>> commercial companies, said the region?s Education Minister Nikolay
>>> Karpushin.

About time too. There should be a law against any public institution
spending taxpayers' money on commercial software, when better and Free
alternatives exist.

> It's probably Gary, posting from his usual gateway.

When the prozac wears off, his schizoid personalities surface.

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

.----
| "Future archaeologists will be able to identify a 'Vista Upgrade
| Layer' when they go through our landfill sites" - Sian Berry, the
| Green Party.
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.18-1.2849.fc6
 07:49:43 up 83 days, 11 min,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00