Re: [News] The Dangers of Closed-source Programs

[snips]

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 19:30:54 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> | It's dumping your system BIOS, which usually includes your
> | motherboard's serial number, and pipes it to the Skype application.
> | I have no idea what they're using it for, or whether they send
> | anything to their servers, but I bet whatever they?re doing is no
> | good given their track record.

At a guess, they're using it to detect or prevent eavesdroppers; if they
can absolutely identify the machines at both ends, an eavesdropper would
have to have an exact copy - down to the serial number - of one or both
BIOSes in order to listen in or hijack the call.

Not that there aren't other ways, but it would be viable to use this
method.

--
Do not contact me at kbjarnason@xxxxxxxxxxx