Re: [News] The $100 Linux Laptop More Secure Than $1000 Vista Laptop

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Thursday 08 February 2007 18:37 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Bringing tech to every child
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | It will come loaded with 100 books, music files, cartoons,
>> | games and educational material in a variety of languages. It
>> | runs on two watts of power and can access the Internet via
>> | a mesh network.
>
> Sure...sure.
>
> Dell, HP, Gateway, Lenovo and Microsoft are just gonna sit back and let
> that happen.
>
> Yep, all the time.

There is strong lobbying against this by those who will lose or be left out
(e.g. Microsoft, Intel). Based on what I see, they also use their trusted,
in-stealth 'analysts' to muddy the water.

At Davos: citizenship, apostasy and $100 laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| Nicholas Negroponte, longtime director of MIT's Media Lab, was toting
| around a working version of his so-called "$100 laptop" (which will
| initially cost about $150). Everyone from Michael Dell to Google's
| Vint Cerf was seen playing with it. The little green-and-white computer
| is so sexy that many pronounced it "cooler than the iPhone."
|
| [...]
|
| The featured speaker at the digital divide session was Intel
| Chairman Craig Barrett, who has been outspokenly critical of
| Negroponte's laptop, in part because it is based on a processor
| chip from arch-rival AMD. Intel at Davos was trying to
| strike back by showing its own green-and-white "Classmate PC,"
| which is considerably more expensive and whose clunkiness prompted
| no iPhone comparisons.
|
| Barrett and Negroponte traded barbs in which each accused the other
| of caring more about marketing than children. Then AMD President
| Andre Richard made a proposal - despite their rivalry on other
| matters, the two chipmakers should cooperate on special software
| for inexpensive educational computers.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/01/technology/fastforward_davos.fortune/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote

Also recall Bill Gates' horrible remarks.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Free 3-D Othello: http://othellomaster.com
Mem:    514480k total,   482908k used,    31572k free,     6904k buffers