[News] The Frustrations of 'Upgrading' to Vista

Windows Vista Upgrade Frustrations

,----[ Quote ]
| If you read our forums, you've seen many cries of foul over
| problems that our readers have had performing in-place upgrades
| from XP to Vista. It seems that the process simply fails for an
| alarming number of posters. I've always had luck with the actual
| installation of Vista over XP, but between this goofy display
| problem I'm currently battling and war I apparently lost trying
| to get PCMark05 to work, I'm starting to seriously doubt that
| I'll recommend anybody, anywhere, perform an in-place upgrade.

One major RTM delay was said to have upgrader problems addressed. Clearly, a
product which was not ready for prime time got unleashed onto the market.
The whole 'semi-based Linux' argument suddenly goes down the bin. Also,
hardware support argument which favour Windows are moot.

Related:

Microsoft Vista: Struggling to answer "Why?"

,----[ Quote ]
| But it is shocking how poorly Microsoft is marketing the need to
| change. Even Bill Gates is struggling to come up with a real
| reason for people to move to Vista. I guess because there is
| no compelling reason, after all. That it's better than XP (which
| I hated - I quite liked Windows 2000, though), I'll grant.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/02/microsoft_vista.html

Vista: Where are the killer apps?

,----[ Quote ]