Re: [News] Open Source/Linux Routers a Looming Threat to Cisco?

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Routing project expands open-source networking
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The Open Linux Router software will provide routing, firewall/VPN,
> | NAT and Apache web, plus FTPserver and basic enterprise security
> | such as intrusion detection. It will be available for download
> | onto a standard PC or a small embedded device.
> `----

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/07022007/152/routing-project-expands-open-source-networking.html

I have a RouterFinder, which is a Linux router. It is very good, very
complete, if you could add a bit more drive space you could make it your
main server (not quite, but not too far off either).

The down side is that it is no trouble what-so-ever and it is in a plain
little box making it look like any other router.

So a year or so after you put it in, you come to it forgetting that it is a
Linux, unplug it and move it, only to find that it has to now go through an
extended startup sequence including checking it's drive. Routing doesn't
take much effort so there isn't a high spec CPU in these, so that drive
check really is slow. You need to remember shut these boxes down properly.
A little battery to hold bits in place while you do a power cord shuffle
would be nice.