Re: [News] Wireless Management in Linux Better Than in Windows

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Wednesday 07 February 2007 15:52 \__

http://mywheel.net/blog/index.php/2007/01/08/visual-comparison-of-major-oss-font-rendering/

> Interesting.  It's hard to say, but I for one would
> say the FreeType2 is the clearest.  MacOSX boldened
> it a little too much, and the Windows one is spidery.
> (Windows w/Cleartype is passable.)
>
> Of course that's only one font; what about the others?
>
> The website turns out to be http://www.wiilu.com/ .
> For some reason, the above article did not mention this
> little tidbit.   (It's possible they didn't want to get
> drawn into a commercial endorsement issue.)
>
> It turns out none of Epiphany, Firefox, Konqueror, or
> Opera on my machine here at work is using anti-aliasing.
>
> *shrug*

I suspect that the anti-aliasing algorithm is patented by Apple, so it's
rarely (if ever) enabled by default in Linux. Automatix enables it in
Ubuntu, IIRC, or maybe it involves manual intervention (changing some
parameter with a text editor).

Software patent. Everybody wins, no?

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Somebody, give this politician a wedgie"
  7:00pm  up 15 days 19:18,  6 users,  load average: 0.39, 0.57, 0.64