[News] [SOT] Wintel Implodes in Austin

The empire of kickbacks is eroding (see links).

Intel shell to be imploded Feb. 25

,----[ Quote ]
| It will cost $1.3 million to demolish the building.
|
| Intel once planned a design center downtown, but abandoned the
| project during the tech downturn in 2001.
`----

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/business/stories/realestate/02/7intel.html

Many years of under-the-table collaborating with a few giants, for the
satisfation of an iundutry that could artificially inflate prices
(overprice) and take away people's freedom away. It's verging its end, also
on the software level.

Related:

Investors sue Dell on payments from Intel: WSJ

,----[ Quote ]
| An investor lawsuit seeking class-action status accuses Dell Inc. of
| improper accounting in its relationship with chip giant Intel,
| according to a media report published Thursday evening.
|
| [...]
|
| The suit alleges that Dell received at times as much as $1 billion
| a year in "secret and likely illegal" kickbacks in the form of
| "e-Cap" or "exception to corporate average pricing" payments"
| from Intel to ensure that Dell used no other chip supplier,
| according to The Journal.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/investors-sue-dell-payments-intel/story.aspx?guid=%7B400315B0%2DE375%2D4920%2DB300%2D784220BEFE35%7D&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo

Who do You Trust with Your Computing?

,----[ Quote ]
| Helios was speaking out against trusted computing (TC) and Digital
| Rights Management (DRM) that is humming softly at the hardware and
| software level inside YOUR computer right now. That's right! Chances
| are, it's already made it on a chip on your and my motherboards...but
| it's there. Soon, if what can happen does happen...we'll all be so
| very unhappy at being told how we can and can't operate our PCs.
|
| Some of you may be asking, "what the heck are you talking about?
| They can't tell me how I can use my computer inside my own home".
| Unfortunately, that statement is false. DRM chips are already on a
| majority of motherboards and even built into some processors (viiv
| anyone?). All it takes is a flip of the switch and you'll do what
| Microsoft or any other company that wants to manage your rights
| for you tells you to do whether you like it or not. That is, ofc
| ourse, unless you use Linux :)  Linux has always been about
| choice...we choose to compute in ways WE want to...not ways
| that are defined for us.
`----

http://linux-blog.org/index.php?/archives/176-Who-do-You-Trust-with-Your-Computing.html

Intel Plans to Close S. Korea R&D Center

,----[ Quote ]
| In September, Santa Clara, Calif.-based Intel announced the
| elimination of 10,500 jobs -- about 10 percent of its work force
| -- through layoffs, attrition and the sale of underperforming
| business groups as part of a massive restructuring.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070105/skorea_intel.html?.v=1

E.U. investigators want formal charge against Intel: report

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7bC96B4158-E6F5-47DB-8164-A9E9141F7C5F%7d&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo

EU antitrust experts seek charges vs Intel-source

,----[ Quote ]
| The Commission has been investigating chip-maker Intel for six years
| to see if it acts unfairly to keep its dominance over rival Advanced
| Micro Devices.
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20070117:MTFH01539_2007-01-17_10-23-02_BRU005303&type=comktNews&rpc=44

Intel profit down 39% as price cuts, spending crimp margins

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel Corp. late Tuesday reported fourth-quarter profit dropped 39% as
| the world's largest chipmaker cut prices and boosted investment as it
| attempts to beat back a challenge from smaller rival Advanced Micro
| Devices Inc.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/intel-profit-drops-39-price/story.aspx?guid=%7BF022C863%2D1C0B%2D4F8B%2DB0C5%2D1695AFFC6810%7D&dist=morenews
http://tinyurl.com/322onq

Henri Richard: AMD's bad guy

,----[ Quote ]
| At the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Richard, at a
| breakfast meeting, did his duty again. He said the Intel Inside
| program and other marketing promotions Intel has used over the
| years have killed profitability for PC makers.
|
| "The industry was saddled with a very successful marketing
| program that sucked all of the profit out of the industry," he
| said. In China, PC makers can avoid these programs and "not
| become a hostage."
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-13053_3-6148717.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news
http://tinyurl.com/yf475k

AMD spells out what it wants from Intel

,----[ Quote ]
| The two companies sessions have "defined the universe in dispute".
| Intel has declined to produce documents that could show
| limitations on customers to buy chips from AMD, quotas for
| chip buying, and "other coercion, including threats of
| retaliation or retribution, for doing business with AMD
| (or not doing sufficient business with Intel)."

AMD claims key victory in Intel antitrust suit

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD filed suit against Intel in June 2005, charging Intel with
| employing anticompetitive practices in the sale of PC chips.
| Intel has denied the charges.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7b4FC79547-9443-4262-BF1E-5AFC9FCDB046%7d&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo
http://tinyurl.com/ynfnkz

AMD says court seeks data from Intel in antitrust case

,----[ Quote ]
| Chipmaker Advanced Micro Devices Inc. said a U.S.
| federal court had overruled Intel Corp.'s
| objections in an ongoing antitrust litigation.
|
| The court has ordered Intel to produce documents and other
| evidence bearing upon its "exclusionary conduct" outside
| United States, AMD said in a statement.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/061228/amd_lawsuit_intel.html?.v=1

Court tells Intel to hand over foreign documents in antitrust case

,----[ Quote ]
| In June 2005, AMD filed a massive antitrust lawsuit against Intel, accusing
| the larger CPU maker of abusing its dominant position in the worldwide PC
| market to prevent AMD's CPUs from making significant inroads. The suit
| alleges that Intel customers like Toshiba, Gateway, Dell, Hitachi, and
| others agreed to exclusive deals with Intel in exchange for "cash payments,
| discriminatory pricing or marketing subsidies conditioned on the exclusion
| of AMD."
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061217-8436.html/

Intel to lay off more people in Europe

,----[ Quote ]
| Our European sources are howling that Intel plans to get rid of an
| additional chunk of workforce and this time it plans to target those
| in Europe.
|
| [...]
|
| Intel already fired 10,500 people and it seems that is not the end of it.

Intel's worst nightmare

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2006/08/21/8383598/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote