[News] Linux is Beyond Ready for Non-techie Grandparents

7 Reasons you should switch Grandma to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| 1. Security
| 2. No Blue Screen of Death
| 3. Price
| 4. Ease of Use
| 5. Runs Fast on Old Machines
| 6. Linux plays well with others
| 7. Support is Everywhere
`----

http://forevergeek.com/linux/7_reasons_you_should_switch_grandma_to_linux.php

Linux would be more suitable than Windows because it means less support from
the son, parent, or neighbour. Registry clogup, bootstrap failures and
malware are probably the most common culprits. Windows is not easy, but it's
easy to let someone /else/ 'maintain' it for you. More proof (with real-life
examples) below.

| 'I hearby pronounce the neverending joke about this finally being
| the "year of the Linux Desktop" officially dead. Linux IS on the desktop,
| and my grandmother DOES use it for everything most people use
| Windows for--email, web browsing, music, watching movies, casual
| gaming. ...and if you are indeed arguing that desktop Linux is
| nonexistant, then you're a goddamned ignorant troll.'
`----

http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=192983&cid=15838014

Why you should switch your parents pc to ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| About a month ago my mother called and asked if I could help her
| with a problem on her computer that I build and installed for her.
| The computer reacted slowly to her input and was opening unknown
| websites for no reason. It was immediately clear that some sort of
| spyware or even worse virus or trojan was responsible for this
| behavior. She was really desperate and I began to scan the
| system immediately.
|
| [...]
|
| I'm not a linux pro but I was able to setup the system and install
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| everything (import mails and the like) in a matter of hours and
| teach my parents how to use their new system. It basically does
| the same but looks different, not much teaching had to be done
| to be honest.
|
| Another advantage is that the system seems to run faster than
| before. They have a Celeron Cpu with 256 megabytes of Ram and
| Windows seemed to be really slow compared to my own computer.
| I got rid of many power hungry services like indexing but
| that was obviously not enough. It simply feels faster with
| linux as the operating system.
|
| To sum it up:
|
|     * Windows is: less secure, slower, requires more administration
|     * Linux is: secure, faster, requires less administration
`----

http://www.ghacks.net/2006/12/20/why-you-should-switch-your-parents-pc-to-ubuntu/

Yo Mamma Likes Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| My mom's become an evangelist to some of her friends. She told me
| that last week she and her lifelong friend had been on the phone
| talking about how they love their new Ubuntu systems and comparing
| cool features they've discovered. I think it's fair to say that
| Linux has come home.
`----

http://shootingthekids.dpblogs.com/2006/12/14/yo-mamma-likes-ubuntu/

Xandros Desktop 4.0

,----[ Conclusion ]
| Xandros 4 is a difficult distribution to form an opinion about,
| simply because it is so contradictory in nature. It outshines any
| other distribution when it comes to Windows compatibility, and it has
| the best file manager of any distribution I've ever seen. The installation
| is easy, and the hardware recognition is outstanding, and having my
| bcm43xx chipset work right out of the box is very, very welcome. The
| downsides, however, are not to be downplayed. The distribution looks
| like used toiletpaper, the amount of applications in Xandros Networks
| is too small, and the security center can be annoying.
|
| Is your grandmother still running Windows 9x/ME? If so, Xandros 4 might
| be a perfect choice, as it gives them a solid Linux distribution,
| which will play nice with all their Windows files and even programs
| (through Crossover Office). The inclusion of Versora also facilitates
| the switch.
|
| However, for more experienced users like you (I guess?) and me, Xandros
| is simply not the best distribution you can get.

Ubuntu for your grandmother.

,----[ Quote ]
| They say its for geeks, they say its for nerds, they say its for those
| whose pinkie finger has the imprint of the enter key tattooed on it. We
| say its for your grandmother ! Yes my friends, I kid you not, for all
| of those who are afraid to dip their little toe into the great Linux-Lake
| let us reassure you : If your grandmother can do it ? So can you. Before
| we start , let me clarify : We are not talking about turning your
| Linux machine into a clustered database server with SQL, PHP, Apache,
| Samba and what have you. We are talking about the advantages of using
| Linux .. as a desktop.
`----

http://www.knightwise.com/content/view/154/9/

Desktop Adapted for Dad