Re: Counter Strike (Half Life) Runs Under Linux

Due to the clearing effect of the killfile
I was able to see Roy Schestowitz say:

> __/ [ cc ] on Wednesday 07 February 2007 11:51 \__
>
>> On Feb 7, 6:30 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> World of Warcraft on OpenSuse Linux 10.1 (with Wine)
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.latenightpc.com/blog/archives/2006/11/25/world-of-warcraft...
>>
>> I tried WoW under Wine and it's awful compared to running natively on
>> Windows. That blog lists some problems with it, and if you go to the
>> actual Wine page for it you will see a host of problems. The main
>> thing is, even if you get it to where it's considered "working," it's
>> slow and the FPS sucks donkey balls. Do you have a link for the Linux-
>> native petition, because I'd gladly sign that? This is something
>> Blizzard needs to do, not some third party hack job.
>
> I tried searching to deliver this this to you, but it got bumped off the
> threshold of my feedsreader. Either way, Cedega which is cheap is doing a
> comendable job.

I love the way cedega and crossover work. They put each game or app in it's
own private virtual windows directory (bottle). Brilliant stuff. It means
that you don't screw up the entire selection of winapps/games when you
install a crappy game. All it can do is screw up it's own virtual space.
And of course the linux host OS is well clear. It's also great for backups.
Install the game once, then just backup the whole virtual windows
directory. Makes it easier to reinstall, complete with patches, etc.

As for some games, like Half Life 2... Well, I like the game, but it can be
a dog on any OS. Took me 5 hours to install it on windows first time...
Pain in the bum...

--
Tim Fairchild - Queensland Australia
Mandriva Linux release 2007.0 (Official) for x86_64