Re: [News] Easy to Love and Hard to Hate Linux

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 06 February 2007 17:45 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz,
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> after noticing that I have turned into a
> red-skinned, forked-tailed, horned devil
>  wrote
> on Tue, 06 Feb 2007 16:16:24 +0000
> <5997672.zuoyD4nEgC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Why it's difficult to hate Linux
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | 1. Where's the villain?
>
> Isn't it obvious?  Linux forbears Microsoft from ever
> hoping to properly implement DRM and/or enforce the notion
> that one size fits all.  Therefore, all the blame should go
> to Linus Torvalds, who should have known that this would
> have turned into the World's Greatest Operating System
> (even though he says he didn't :-) ) and negotiated a
> settlement whereby he'd live happily ever after on a remote
> island (along with 6 girls, an old man, a library, a bear,
> a snake, a murderous plant, a wall with lots of rocks,
> and a strange floating thing that looks like a three-way
> cross between Pikachu, Ryou-Oki, and a tasmanian devil).
> [*]
>

>> | 2. Where's the evil?
>
> See above.
>

>> | 3. A marketing campaign to dislike?
>
> Well, there were a few attempts by IBM.  I'm not sure
> how successful they are, but "Peace Love Tux" was very
> enigmatic, and the basketball Linux spots were probably
> less enlightening about Linux's capabilities, and even
> less entertaining.
>
> And then there's...The Kid.

Ah! Prodigy. Creepy.

> The one I did like was "Oops, someone stole all our servers!".

The other day I read something which suggests that IBM helped Red Hat with
the Truth Happens series.

>> | 4. The Community
>
> Well, that's an interesting conundrom, since the Linux community is
> rather far-flung.  I only see part of it here, but other parts are
> probably happily coexisting somewhere else.

Coexisting eelctronically, I presume.

>> http://www.seopher.com/articles/why_its_difficult_to_hate_linux
>>
>> On the other hand:
>>
>> Apple's Sneaky Way to Overcharge You
>
> Apple??!

Not thanks. There's already a banana in my cereal bowl. :-0 I would have
written more, but I'm having dinner while reading and writing this. Catching
up.

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2455&Itemid=449

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Real E-mail -> Harvest -> Fraud -> Spammers profit