[News] Open Source Media Player (SongBird) to Have DRM Support

Songbird to support Apple Fairplay, Windows Media DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source media player Songbird will be able to play DRM
| protected downloads from Apple's iTunes music store as well
| as from Yahoo Music Unlimited and similiar outlets using the
| Windows Media Playsforsure DRM - as long as you are using
| OS X or windows, that is.
`----

http://www.p2p-blog.com/item-243.html

Removal of a few platform migration barriers, just before every label gives
up on DRM. It would also help in bringing old content back to life, from the
day when DRM was still prevalent, infecting people's data.

Related:

Music industry set to abandon DRM shocka

,----[ Quote ]
| Surprise, surprise, surprise. After all the lawsuits we've been
| reporting about, all the fiasco's we've been through (Microsoft
| incompatible trio MSN-Plays For Sure-Zune), and now, it seems
| that music industry executives are finally thinking with their
| senses and not with their ill-fated techno-paranoid logic.

Holland Considers Banning DRM, Legalizing Filesharing

,----[ Quote ]
| Last year the Dutch tried to tax all MP3 players, but that proposal
| didn't make it into law. But not to worry, they have other brilliant
| ideas. Earlier this week, Dutch politicians suggested that it might
| be a good idea to tax Internet traffic, and use this money to
| compensate the music industry. This, under the condition that
| DRM is abandoned, and people can't be charged for downloads. Say
| what?
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/holland-considers-banning-drm-legalizing-filesharing/

Apple DRM illegal in Norway: Ombudsman

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple's digital rights management lock on its iPod device and iTunes
| software is illegal, the Consumer Ombudsman in Norway has ruled. The
| blow follows the news that Germany and France are joining Norway's
| action against Apple.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/24/apple_drm_illegal_in_norway/

Record labels rethink digital rights management at Midem

,----[ Quote ]
| Now that even digital music revenue growth is faltering amid
| rampant file-sharing by consumers, the major record labels are
| closer than ever to releasing music on the Internet with no
| copying restrictions -- a step they once vowed never
| to take.
`----

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/21/yourmoney/music.php

Independent record labels sign Web distribution deal

,----[ Quote ]
| The downloads will be sold in the MP3 format, meaning they can be
| played on any portable music player including the iPod. Apple's iTunes
| can be used only with an iPod while music from such popular services
| as Napster and Rhapsody cannot be played on the mass-selling device.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6151854.html

VirginMega adopts DRM-free MP3 on its music store

,----[ Quote ]
| VirginMega.fr, by Lagardere, is adding more than 200,000 tracks
| available in the MP3 256k format. So far, the store only offered
| Microsoft's PlayForSure WMA 192k tracks, and only made a few
| tracks available as an experiment in a similar way as Yahoo did.
| However, France is the first country where a full-DRM store adopts
| MP3 on a large scale.
`----

http://www.djing.com/news/1926/virginmega-adopts-drm-free-mp3-on-its-music-store/

Sony settles with FTC in rootkit case

,----[ Excerpt ]
| Proposed agreement includes barring Sony BMG from installing copy
| protection software on CDs without users' consent.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6154655.html

EMI abandons CD DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| EMI has announced that it will no longer infect its CDs with DRM. I
| remember just a few years ago when an EMI customer-service rep sent
| an email to an irate customer promising that every CD in Europe would
| have DRM within a decade.
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/01/08/emi_abandons_cd_drm.html

Amazon Soon Opening DRM-free MP3 Store

,----[ Quote ]
| Looks like rumors are afloat that Amazon is planning on a late
| first quarter 2007 launch of a new music download store. In an
| already crowded music download market, Amazon hopes to differentiate
| itself in two major ways...
`----

http://www.computers.net/2006/12/amazon_soon_ope.html

iTunes sales 'collapsing'

,----[ Quote ]
| The leading DRM digital download service, Apple's iTunes, has
| experienced a collapse in sales revenues this year according to
| analyst company Forrester Research.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/11/digital_downloads_flatline/

Music to be offered in MP3 file format

,----[ Quote ]
| After years of selling online music digitally wrapped with copy
| and playback restrictions designed to hinder piracy, major music
| labels are beginning to make some songs available in the
| unrestricted MP3 file format.
`----

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/technology/16179277.htm

Big labels are f*cked, and DRM is dead - Peter Jenner

,----[ Quote ]
| Few people know the music industry better than Peter Jenner. Pink
| Floyd's first manager, who subsequently managed Syd Barrett's solo
| career, Jenner has also looked after T.Rex, The Clash, Ian Dury,
| Disposable Heroes and Billy Bragg - who he manages today. He's also
| secretary general of the International Music Managers Forum.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/03/peter_jenner/

Sony 'deceived' on music

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony has been convicted of misleading the French public and told
| to pay damages to a consumer watchdog for selling downloadable
| songs that only run on its own music players.
|
| France's Union Federale des Consommateurs (UFC) took Sony's
| French and British subsidiaries to court in February 2005 over
| the music download site Sony Connect. The lawsuit also targets
| Apple, maker of the popular iPod, whose case is expected to
| reach the courts later this year.
`----

http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,21026144%5E15322%5E%5Enbv%5E,00.html
http://tinyurl.com/y7hk7w

Who's Killing MP3 and ITunes?

,----[ Quote ]
| 1. The labels don't have a choice
| 2. Apple might be forced into interoperability
| 3. Thomson has endorsed selling watermarked MP3
| 4. Amazon is rumored to start selling MP3s by April
| 5. Sony: "DRMs are going to become less important"
| 6. People love AllofMP3.com
| 7. MP3 has future options
`----

http://www.wired.com/news/columns/0,72412-1.html?tw=wn_story_page_next1