[News] Commission on Information and Communications Technology Promotes Free Software in Philippines

CICT offers open source software packages for Filipinos

,----[ Quote ]
| The "Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) CD Kit Series" hopes to
| discourage the use of unlicensed software and promote the
| distribution of software and documents under the free and open
| source licensing models, the CICT said.
|
| In a report distributed by the CICT Human Capital Development
| Group, the agency said the software packages comprise freely
| available open source software that can run on either the Linux
| or Windows operating system.
`----

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/infotech/view_article.php?article_id=47636

Recent:

French students to get open-source software on USB key

,----[ Quote ]
| French authorities will give out 175,000 USB memory sticks
| loaded with open-source software to Parisian high-school
| students at the start of the next school year.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070202/tc_infoworld/85707

More from the Philippines:

Via, Puppy Linux tout "affordable" computing

,----[ Quote ]
| Puppy Linux was guest-of-honor at an "Affordable Community
| Computing Workshop" this week in the Philippines, where
| participants assembled and took home ultra low-cost, PC-like
| computing devices. The workshop was sponsored by Via and
| several organizations working to close the "digital divide"
| in the Philippines.

FOSS Bill Listed For First Public Hearing

,----[ Quote ]
| Listed for November 15th, the hearing by The Committee on Information and
| Communications Technology has invited comment from various stakeholders
| potentially affected by the bill, including community representatives as
| well as industry giants Microsoft and Oracle.
`----

http://www.localfoss.org/Philippino_FOSS_Bill_Public_Hearing

Philippine Linux Company Promotes Free Software by Offering Rental and Lease
to Own Servers

,----[ Quote ]
| Philippine-based Linux company GEN Automation Technologies does their
| share in promoting Free Software by providing small and medium sized
| enterprises (SMEs) the options to avail of rental and lease-to-own
| servers running on Open Source software.
`----

http://www.24-7pressrelease.com/view_press_release.php?rssID=18985

DSWD shifting to open source software -- official

,----[ Quote ]
| DSWD will slowly introduce PCLinux, a flavor of open source software, as
| an alternative desktop platform in the agency. The trained employees will
| then help other employees in the migration to open source software,
| the official added.
|
| "This is no longer an experiment," Armeña added, noting that the open
| source software trainings of selected employees will continue until
| first quarter of 2007.
`----

http://technology.inq7.net/infotech/infotech/view_article.php?article_id=23457

RP Open Source confab: It's time to make the rules

,----[ Quote ]
| After years of breaking the rules in the computing world, it?s now time for
| open source to make the rules.
|
| [...]
|
| Right now, there's tremendous opportunity for Filipinos with open
| source skills since 67 percent of servers used in the Internet is based
| on open source technology.
|
| "But we'd also like to emphasize that we?re not against any
| software company," Contreras said. "What we?re saying is that with
| open source, companies now have an option to choose."
`----

http://www.mb.com.ph/INFO2006092575370.html

The Open Source Bill

,----[ Quote ]
| "This act shall be known as the "Free/Open Source Software (FOSS)
| Act of 2006"
`----

http://www.chinwong.com/Documents/FOSS_bill_draft_.pdf

More schools take to open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Unlike the first two phases of the program that used the proprietary
| Windows operating system and Microsoft Office, the computers in phase 3
| will be bundled with free and open source Fedora Linux and OpenOffice.
|
| "This is the most important milestone," he said, noting that the project
| went to Lenovo in a public bidding in part because its software costs were
| so low.
|
| Free and open source software is also increasingly finding its way into
| state-owned universities and colleges, Lallana said.
`----

http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?page=interactive01_sept04_2006

Part 2 eyed for open source project

,----[ Quote ]
| With the achievements of the Philippine Open Source Initiative
| Project (POSITIVE), its three proponents are seeking to come up
| with a follow-up program to ensure long-term sustainability of POSITIVE,
| this time targeting Philippine companies to play a role.
|
| [...]
|
| So far, Project POSITIVE has trained 218 teachers from 91 participating
| schools. Some of these schools have either fully implemented the
| POSITIVE courseware or some parts of it, depending on the school's
| IT curriculum.
|
| Sianghio said they are hoping to reach more than 100 school partners
| by November.
`----

http://technology.inq7.net/infotech/infotech/view_article.php?article_id=22680

Copying (by hand) from the PDF.

,----[ Quote ]
| An act defining the procurement of software in government agencies,
| promoting the development, and use of free/open source sofware (FOSS)

| "This act shall be known as the "Free/Open Source Software (FOSS)
| Act of 2006"
`----

http://www.chinwong.com/Documents/FOSS_bill_draft_.pdf

CICT drafts educational open

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the components of FINE is the distribution of a Free and Open
| Source Software (FOSS) CD Kit that contains about a dozen open
| source alternatives to proprietary applications.
|
| These applications include OpenOffice (alternative to Microsoft
| Office), Scribus DTP (alternative to Microsoft Publisher), NVU Web
| Authoring, 3D modeling software Blender (alternative to the more
| expensive Maya), Firefox (alternative to proprietary Web browsers),
| among others.
|
| [...]
|
| Another is the eQuality program that provides open source training
| to students from state colleges and universities.
`----

http://technology.inq7.net/infotech/infotech/view_article.php?article_id=18508

Almost famous

,----[ Quote ]
| Because Linux is free, nobody knows exactly how many people
| use it.
|
| [...]
|
| Ever since the company launched its Windows Genuine Advantage program
| last year, I've said that heavy-handed efforts to crack down on
| software piracy would backfire. The market research company IDC
| seems to agree.
|
| Instead of encouraging users to obtain genuine copies of Windows,
| Microsoft?s anti-piracy efforts will cause many users to opt for
| a freely available Linux distribution, says Al Gillen, an IDC analyst.
|
| [...]
|
| For Linux, that promise has already come true. Now all that's
| left is to make it truly famous.
`---

http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?page=business6_jan30_2007