Re: Security, Microsoft style: 84% of malware gets through

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 06 Feb 2007 01:58:06 +0000
<3075961.7aPHX53Fhi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> __/ [ Richard Rasker ] on Monday 05 February 2007 21:03 \__
>

>> This is so pathetic, it's almost cool:
>>
>> http://www.webroot.com/company/pressroom/pr/vista-weaknesses.html
>>
>> "Windows® Defender fails to block 84% of a testing sample-set that
>>  included 15 of the most common variations of existing spyware and
>>  malware."
>>
>> And to think that Microsoft not only bought several renowned anti-virus
>> outfits in the past years, have more resources and money than any other
>> software company, have had five years since Gates' hypocritical
>> "Trustworthy Computing" memo to create something really good
>> security-wise, but also have unlimited access to the sources of what
>> they're trying to protect - and still *this* is what they come up with?
>>
>> This is unbelievable. I mean, having a "security application" that's only
>> 16% effective isn't just bad. It's much, much worse than bad, because it
>> conveys a false sense of security. "Yessir, our locks 'n bolts stop 15% of
>> all burglars!" No-one in their right mind would want to use such crapware.
>>

>> Well mr. Funkenbusch, as I'm completely at a loss for words over this one,
>> it's over to you, to explain more about this latest feat in computer
>> security by those utterly incompetent morons in Redmond.
>
> OneCare is equally bad, FWIW, so the last think we need is security that
> becomes a monopoly. Just look at the state of IE a couple of years ago. The
> Net was in a miserable state (to many, it still is).

Well, I still get lots of spam.  :-)  Part of it is my
fault, of course; the harvesterbots glom onto my sig below
faster than one can say "Upsidaisyium".  And MSNBC and BBC
still refuse to serve me video clips because I don't know
the proper proprietary magic woids and phrases.

(Not that I care all that much, but it's an annoyance.  To
any 'bots who can actually read past an at sign....you're
not going to sell me pharmacoepia, lottery tickets,
long-dead African national figures with supposedly huge
bank accounts, or various pictures with supposedly huge --
erm, I'll leave it at that.  I'm not interested.  :-P
I will save the more amusing ones, such as the attempt from
a bank which I've never had an account in. :-) )

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Woman?  What woman?"