Re: [News] In China, Cost of Windows Equals a Month's Wage

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 05 February 2007 14:53 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Chinese attitude on buying Vista
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| I've mentioned above,the price of Vista is higher than RMB2000 (about
>>| USD257) may not shake users in developed countries, but do you know it
>>| is equal to the average monthly salary in China's economic center
>>| Shanghai!So please take this fact into consideration before
>>| criticize our behavior of buying pirate softwares.
>>|
>>| recent survey of public opinion from China's portal NetEase shows that
>>| 81% of netizens think Microsoft is forcing them to use pirate Vista...
>> `----
>>
>> http://ya.iyee.cn/2007/02/chinese-attitude-on-buying-vista.html
>>

> The answer here, is, of course, Linux.  In particular, one of the very
> free Linuxes would be best.  I recall that Red Flag Linux was talked
> about rather a lot some time ago, presumably, it has all the required
> localisation work done.

There are some industrial and governmental forces behind Red Flag.

Red Flag Linux may be next on IBM's agenda

,----[ Quote ]
| Jollans also addressed a question about why IBM did not release its own
| Linux distribution several years ago.
|
| "We thought that if IBM was in the market as an 800-pound gorilla, it
| would have a negative effect on the Linux market. We won't do something
| that sets us against the community," he said.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2006/092206-red-flag-linux-may-be.html

Will cash solve China's 'community' problem?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/blog/opensource/0,39060102,61984296,00.htm

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows: innovative VTP technology (Virus Transfer
Protocol)
Tasks: 124 total,   1 running, 119 sleeping,   0 stopped,   4 zombie