Re: Hasta La Vista, Behbee

__/ [ High Plains Thumper ] on Monday 29 January 2007 23:03 \__

> My observations, the trolling activity has gotten worse.  I
> don't think it has anything to do with the Linux advocates.
> Instead, it seems to follow along with what Mark Kent has
> observed over the years.  Upon the eve of every new Redmond
> distro comes the astroturf choir.  They are trying to drown
> out the advocates.
>
> One thing I just noticed is the new theme being preached,
> "Linux trolls".  This is sheer utter nonsense, they'd like
> this to be a Windows advocacy group.  It is fair to say
> though that because of troll activity, more advocates have
> taken on anonymous identities to avoid identity theft.  Also
> it is fair to say that the trolls are sock puppetting "Linux
> trolls" to make their points.
>
> I hope everyone is hanging in there to weather out the storm.
> Linux is catching on in the world in spite of these troll's
> desperate attempts to lay c.o.l.a. waste.
>
> I got a real chuckle from Rex Ballard's observation of an HP
> laptop running Vista.  The OS is a resource hog, taking 700
> MB of the 1 GB RAM.  That is rather pathetic. OS should be
> compact so one can run applications.  The application is more
> important than the OS as it does the work.  For this reason I
> believe this may be the sundown of this proprietary OS and a
> continued dawning of Linux, as frankly Linux rocks!

When a poor product is released, a lot of effort needs to be put into
extinguishing all criticism, which is valid by the way. Linux should be
flattered. Look how much trouble Microsoft goes through in order to defend a
product that has barely evolved in a decade. It's not maintainable. Just
look at Mac OS and Linux back 1998. While Apple learned its lesson and
rebuilt, Microsoft refused to do this. At the same time, it acknowledges the
need to do so (see refs beloe), but it's too late.

Why Windows is less secure than Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows is inherently harder to secure than Linux. There I said
| it. The simple truth.
|
| Many millions of words have been written and said on this topic.
| I have a couple of pictures.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/threatchaos/?p=311

Linux more secure than Windows, national survey shows

,----[ Quote ]
| In its first annual Security Issues Survey for the debut of the Software
| Security Summit conference in La Jolla, California, BZ Research polled
| 6,344 software development managers about the security of different popular
| enterprise operating environments and Linux and open source consistently
| topped Microsoft Windows, according to respondents.
`----

http://www.xomba.com/linux_more_secure_than_windows_national_survey_shows

Linux Security: A Big Edge Over Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux is better at locking down a computer than Windows. The Linux OS
| uses configuration settings and user permissions to a much more
| efficient degree than the Windows administrator account. To do
| this, non-enterprise users should seek help from third-party
| security suites that serve as configuration managers, James
| Bottomley, chief technology officer of SteelEye Technology said.

Security Report: Windows vs Linux

,----[Executive summary ]
| Finally, we also include a brief overview of relevant conceptual
| differences between Windows and Linux, to offer an insight into why
| Windows tends to be more vulnerable to attacks at both server and desktop,
| and why Linux is inherently more secure
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/security/security_report_windows_vs_linux/

Microsoft Windows: Insecure by Design

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A34978-2003Aug23?language=printer

If Only We Knew Then What We Know Now About Windows XP

,----[ Quote ]
| You can think of Windows XP as a house with a second floor built of
| spackle, wood filler and duct tape.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/23/AR2006092300510.html?nav=rss_technology

Why Windows is a security nightmare.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/21/1085120110704.html

The Structural Failures of Windows

| "Up to 60% of the code in the new consumer version of Microsoft new Vista
| operating system is set to be rewritten as the Company 'scrambles' to fix
| internal problems a Microsoft insider has confirmed to SHN... Microsoft has
| also admitted that it has major problems in it's Windows division and has
| has immediately initiated a total restructure of the division..."
`----

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Computing/Platforms?Article=/Computing/Platforms/R7G5G6U4

As Microsoft looks ahead, will Vista be the end of an era?

,----[ Quote ]
| Once installed in the post, Mr Ozzie wrote an internal company
| memo that mapped out the challenges that face Microsoft. The
| message was clear: get Google, get with the internet and wean
| Microsoft off Windows as we know it.
|
| "Through Google's focus they?ve gained a tremendously strong
| position," he said. "[Microsoft] must respond quickly and decisively
| . . . It's clear that if we fail to do so, our business as we know
| it is at risk."
`----

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13129-2494732,00.html

Why Vista might be the last of its kind

,----[ Quote ]
| Imagine this. One of the world's most powerful monopolies puts 10,000
| people to work for five years to create one new product. And nobody
| is really sure if anyone wants it. How's that for a gamble?
|
| That's what we have with Windows Vista, the new computer-operating
| system from Microsoft that debuted last week for businesses and,
| next month, for consumers.
`----

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003460386_btview04.html

Vista: Microsoft's Last 'Big Bang' Operating System?

,----[ Quote ]
| Yet for all the design missteps, overly ambitious plans, and
| personnel changes that led to a five-year lag between versions
| of Windows, questions about the future of Microsoft's software
| are top of mind for customers and partners. Ballmer swears to
| never let as much time elapse between Windows versions; the
| question now is how the company can keep churning out
| innovative products on a compressed timetable.
`----

http://newz.byethost31.com/Microsoft_vista_last_big_bang_operating_system.htm

Is Vista the End of Windows as We Know It?

,----[ Quote ]
| The five-year long march to developing Windows Vista exposed just how
| broken Microsoft's Windows-development process is. It took far too
| long, major features were dropped along the way, and it was wrapped up
| in more red tape than the IRS. That's why I think that Vista will be the
| last of the "big-bang" Windows releases.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/windows/blog/2006/11/is_vista_the_end_of_windows_as.html

Life After Vista: Can Microsoft Retool for Web?

,----[ Quote ]
| In a similar tug of war in the late 1990s, one internal faction
| lobbied to use Microsoft's Internet browser software to radically
| retool Windows for the Internet. But that faction lost out to a
| more PC-centric view of the Windows mission -- an outcome that some
| Microsoft insiders say is one reason the company fell behind in the
| Internet services Google and others now lead.
`----

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB116459728069433263-K0zAOblcMz_...
http://tinyurl.com/yjngqj

Windows Vista the last of its kind

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.techworld.com/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=6718

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Lions are like hippie tigers"
  2:20pm  up 12 days 14:38,  9 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.19, 0.27