[News] Catching a Windows Virus Takes Just 8 Seconds

How Long Does It Take To Catch A Computer Virus?

,----[ Quote ]
| Would you believe only 8 seconds?
|
| In fact, after only 8 seconds, the unsuspecting little rascal was
| undergoing the machine equivalent of being turned into a "Pod
| person from the planet Mars!" First, it was hit by Sasser, one of
| the fastest spreading worms on the Internet. Then it started
| downloading strange programs from mysterious internet addresses.
| Then it started looking for other machines to infect.
|
| Within five minutes, the little rapscallion was running so many
| malicious programs that it was running totally choked up and its
| CPU was 100% occupied performing virus-related tasks.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197002712&subSection=All+Stories

It used to be around 12 minutes a couple of years ago. You think that's
crazy? Here are some recent statistics:

Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net

,----[ Quote ]
| Cerf estimated that between 100 million and 150 million of the
|                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| 600 million PCs on the internet are under the control of hackers,
| the BBC reports. "Despite all that, the net is still working,
| which is pretty amazing. It's pretty resilient," he said.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/botnet_threat/

A couple of days ago 2 guys were captured. These two people alone hijacked
over 2 million Windows PCs. Do the world a favour and move to a modular and
secure operating system. I'm only glad that we began fining people and
suspending their connection for a long time. People will naturally flock to
secure platforms.