[News] Wikipedia's Insipration Comes from Open Source Software

Interview: Knowledge to the people

,----[ Quote ]
| Was Wikipedia a fully formed concept right from the start?
|
| Very far from it. I'd watched the growth of the open-source software
| movement, with free licensing as the social model that was making it
| all possible, and I thought the collaborations programmers were making
| with each other could also work for other things.
|
| [...]
|
| What's your plan for search?
|
| It's too early for specifics, but one thing that has worked is an
| alliance in which people contribute to a free software project. We
| saw this succeed with Apache, the open-source webserver. Apache was
| a tiny group of volunteers, yet the vast majority of its code has
| come from companies who paid people to work on it. It's essentially
| an industrial consortium that has been able to fend off Microsoft's
| closed-source webserver. So it makes sense for second-tier search
| companies who are falling behind Google to contribute to a free
| search software project that will make us equal to Google in terms
| of search quality.
`----

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/opinion/mg19325896.300

Recent: Microsoft pays to edit/corrupt Wikipedia...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/internet/01/24/microsoft.wikipedia.ap/index.html