Re: [News] BBC Will Allow Linux Users to Use Web TV, With DRM Options

begin  oe_protect.scr
> BBC web TV revamp: Linux and Apple are in
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Auntie will also now tackle the thorny question of DRM. To date,
>| Windows Media Audio has been in the frame as the BBC's favourite
>| scheme for digital lockdown. The Trust has committed to being
>| 'platform agnostic' and will work up some DRM options for Apple
>| and Linux users within "a reasonable timeframe".
> `----
>
> http://networks.silicon.com/webwatch/0,39024667,39165581,00.htm
>
> A promise has at least just been made.

Of sorts, but why the DRM at all?  The BBC presently broadcasts en-clair
to most of Europe, and using BBC World and BBC America, a more limited
selection to the whole planet.  So why worry about DRM?

The real underlying issue here is about DRM and an apparently
already-made decision that it is required.  I can see no good reason for
why it should be required, and the paper which has been published does
not remotely address the issue, it merely seems to take the assumption
as a working assumption, and looks at how to deliver.

The debate needs to be reset back, and the whole DRM question considered
properly.  I think that the BBC could be about to make the most
significant error they've ever made, although it does look like that
they have been advised by Microsoft here, so I suppose there's no
particular surprise.

QOTD:
	"Who?  Me?  No, no, NO!!  But I do sell rugs."