Re: [News] Keynote Talk at West Michigan's Largest IT Show Highlights OSS and Linux Benefits

  • Subject: Re: [News] Keynote Talk at West Michigan's Largest IT Show Highlights OSS and Linux Benefits
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 20:35:57 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 01 February 2007 07:27 \__

http://www.mlive.com/business/grpress/index.ssf?/base/business-4/1169826549220660.xml&coll=6

>> More Linux in the mainstream. Let's just hope this don't deliver Microsoft
>> IP pitch (fear uncertainty and doubt lies), which is something Novell is
>> repeatedly being accused of.
>>

> Perhaps Mr Faigen is hoping he can get a job at a pro-Open Source
> company?

Novell employees intend to make a living, but I suspect that VPs intend to
make /money/. There's a lot of funny stuff going on behind the scenes (I
mentioned yet another funny bonus/reward a couple of days ago... and I
wasn't alone). Novell chose servitude for short-term gains. The effect on
the Linux community as a whole is just details. Money first. Ethics are a
secondary nice-to-have, even if stomping on devs whose work you built on is
involved. Companies don't understand communities. In a sense, Red Hat is
still okay. Look at the (relative) purity of Fedora... but it's no
gNewSense, not even Debian.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |  {Hide sig}    {Show sig}    >{Close Application}<