[News] Linux Does Not Grow at Expense of UNIX

Survey: The Demise Of Unix Is Exaggerated

,----[ Quote ]
| A new study from the Gabriel Consulting Group shows that
| use of Unix, particularly in high-end systems, is on the
| rise in the enterprise.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=DVVELH2S4DGFIQSNDLRCKH0CJUNN2JVN?articleID=197001433

If Unix isn't dying, why is SCO?

,----[ Quote ]
| Incidentally, IBM tops all Unix vendors in a recent preference survey.
| I'm just guessing, but I can't help but think that its dignified
| behavior during the SCO attack has to have something to do with that.
| There seems to be something to the expression that you reap what
| you sow.

It is possible that some services (workload) move from Windows desktops onto
Linux servers. Or it could be just overall growth. The key point to make
here is that Linux invades Windows space and it isn't merely a UNIX
replacement, which is what Microsoft would like us to believe. It's a
convenient excuse in arguing that Windows servers are superior to Linux
servers and Linux is a 'consolation prize'.