Re: Official FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III

  • Subject: Re: Official FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III
  • From: Rafael <rafael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 18:42:03 +0900
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy, comp.sys.mac.advocacy, comp.lang.java.advocacy
rayschestowitz@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
+                                                         +
+             C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer            +
+                  Edition: 21 - 9/24/06                  +
+              Group: comp.os.linux.advocacy              +
+                                                         +
+        Copyright (c) 2002-2006 Linux Reality Team       +

<SNIP>

SECTION EIGHT - LINUX EVANGELISM, ZEALOTS

8.1 Q: There are some people that call this FAQ lies <SNIP>

Very simply, because it is.

Please note, there is no such thing as the Linux Reality Team.  FAQ
posted by this imposter is a bogus FAQ, designed to discredit Linux and
the advocates promoting Linux.  Below describes FUD tactics, of which
this poster's reply is one such example.

Following are excerpts from the official FAQ, entire text is found at:

Copyright: (c) 2002 The FAQ and Primer for COLA Team -- All Rights Reserved

        Frequently Asked Questions and Primer for comp.os.linux.advocacy

                                  Edition III

                                 April 19, 2002

              | Beware of those who would call you a friend for |
              | many will eat your bread while working against  |
              | you. They will take credit for your good works  |
              |      and blame you for their own misdeeds.      |
              |               - TheGreat Unknown                |

(OFFICIAL FAQ CONTINUED)

                     7 Anti-Linux Propagandists and Trolls

   The comp.os.linux.advocacy newsgroup is a newsgroup that is under siege by
   one or more factions of anti-Linux propagandists. In the past those
   factions have appeared to be confident and smug; however, as of late it
   appears that they are becoming ever more desperate. The reason for their
   desperation appears to be as a result of growth of the mind share of Linux
   and the continuing failures of their chosen cause. Besides the true
   anti-Linux propagandists there are also the occasional classic newsgroup
   troll.

   It can be difficult to determine what type of person a particular
   disruptive personality is; an anti-Linux Propagandist or just a troll.
   That is because they both use some of the same tactic. What it not
   difficult to determine is what their purpose is when they post to COLA.
   They are doing it to disrupt the newsgroup and sidetrack its purpose of
   existence. Regardless of their reason for the disruption, they are trying
   to prevent: the free exchange of knowledge and support based on experience
   of using Linux that would otherwise be happening in COLA, if it were not
   for their interference.

   The free and open discussions between the experienced users and the new
   users and the would be users of Linux that is our goal. That is the goal
   of all those who would be Linux advocates as well as all others who come
   to COLA to discuss Linux. All of us, Linux users new and old, those
   curious about Linux, and others, have come to COLA as students and as
   teachers. All that is except for the anti-Linux propagandists and the
   trolls, they have come to COLA to destroy it and prevent its being an
   asset to the Linux community.

   As has been stated else where in this document, all are welcome in COLA,
   except those who come to COLA to destroy Linux, COLA, or the Linux
   Community.

7.1 Disinformation

   If COLA were a physical location like a building where those who would
   advocate the growth of the Linux operating systems and the Linux community
   gather, the anti-Linux propagandists would be raiding that building. They
   would be vandalizing the building, painting graffiti on the walls,
   defecating and urinating on the floors and furniture, breaking down the
   doors, setting fire to the building and physically assaulting the resident
   Linux advocates and the visitors who happen to be in the building at the
   time of the raid.

   COLA is not a physical location, so they have had to adapt their methods
   so that they can do an on-line version of what was described in the prior
   paragraph. A key method used by anti-Linux propagandist to attack Linux,
   its users, sysadmins, developers, advocates and those who have come to
   COLA to lean about Linux. is a form of propaganda known as disinformation.
   One of their favorite version of disinformation is known as FUD.

7.3 A Common FUD of the Anti-Linux Propagandists

   An example of dishonesty of the anti-Linux propagandists is their common
   claim that the Linux proponents in COLA oppose the use of any other
   operating system. They also would have you believe that the Linux
   proponents in COLA oppose everyone who does not use Linux all the time.
   Those are some of the lies that they use to try to discredit Linux users
   who post in COLA.

   The truth is that a user of one or more operating systems other than Linux
   are not opposed in COLA for that reason alone. Many of the Linux Advocates
   in COLA have experience on many other operating systems besides Linux.
   Many do use multiple operating systems on a regular basis. It is due to
   this experience that any disinformation regarding the capabilities of
   Linux, or that of other operating systems are easily detected by the Linux
   advocates.

   It is not difficult to tell the difference between an anti-Linux
   Propagandist and a true advocates of another operating system. Occasional
   mention of other operating systems is fine. However, it is the frequent or
   continuous promotion of other operating systems that turns a welcome
   poster into an unwelcome troll or anti-Linux propagandist.

7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics

   This is a list of the disinformation tactics that the that the anti-Linux
   propagandists who post in COLA have been using. All of these tactics have
   been used in COLA by the anti-Linux propagandists against the Linux
   advocates and the rest of the COLA readership to further the cause of the
   anti-Linux propagandists. This list has been worded as though you are one
   of them, so that you can better see through their eyes how they think.

          Act offended or claim that opposing viewpoints are incredible and/or
       unbelievable. When you are unable to valid argument to refute a Linux
       advocate, use empty statements such as:
          * "OH PULEEEZE!"
          * "Only a Linonut would say that"
          * "And they wonder why no one takes Linux seriously!"
          * "How dare you say that!"
          * "That's the way to offend thousands!"

          Distract your opponent from the issues at hand by accusing your
       opponents of being "petty", "pathetic", "childish" or any of a number
       of other such terms.

          Put your opponent off guard by insulting him.  The liberal use of
       profanity and vulgarisms can be very effective, particularly when used
       against you more dignified opponents.  Your experience as a school
       yard bully can be handy here

          Be patronizing, condescending and present an air of superiority. It
       may hide your inferiority to the casual reader.  Use phrases like
       "kid" or "son", to elevate your relative apparent authority by
       attempting to diminish that of the Linux advocate you are addressing.

          Discredit your opponent or his position through the use of
       inappropriate laugher and other non-verbal grunts.

          When your tactics are turned on you, call you opponents trolls.  Do
       not accept the fact that by calling someone using your tactics a troll
       that makes you the real troll.

          Keep posting non-stop.  Flood the group with your idiocy and nonsense.
       Some readers may equate your volume with proof of quality.  You will
       tie good Linux advocates in knots trying to refute you and they won't
       have time for real advocacy.

          Brag about destroying newsgroups and threaten to do the same to
       comp.os.linux.advocacy.

          Drive as many good Linux Advocates out of the group as possible.

   10. Refuse to admit your errors
       Never ever admit your errors no matter how blatant they are.  If you
       find no way out and have to admit that you are wrong, phrase it so
       that you can accuse your opponent of being wrong.

   11. Never apologize for your misbehavior
       Never ever apologize no matter how out of line you have been behaving.
       If you should ever find it to your advantage to apologize, phrase it
       as a slap in the face of the person who you have already wronged.

   12. Blame your stupidity and lies on your opponent
       Blame your own stupidity on the Linux advocate you are dealing with.
       Such as when you have made an unsupportable claim that suggest a list
       of details and your are asked to present your non-existent list reply
       with, "I don't have to list them for you; you aren't bright enough to
       know what you're missing by using X instead of a real Y, I'm not going
       to explain it to you." Then hope that nobody reading the thread
       realizes that your statement translates as, "I lack the knowledge or
       facts needed to counter your position or your position is too complete
       and accurate to be refuted.  So, I will say things to sound superior
       to avoid admitting you are right."

   13. Embarrass your opponent
       Locate or create apparently embarrassing information or detail and
       utilize it out of all proportion-trying to create a scandal around it,
       to hijack a thread or drive everyone to distraction.

   14. Blackmail your opponent
       Locate or create apparently embarrassing information or detail and
       threaten your opponent with exposure to force him to do as you want
       him to. This tactic can be combined with the "Embarrass your opponent"
       tactic if you can no longer get your way though Blackmail.

   15. Avoid answering direct questions
       Avoid answering a direct questions that you fear by claiming to not
       have seen the question then refuse to address it for other reasons.
       Keep it up along with other tactics until your opponent is distracted
       from the question.

   16. Turn a question asked of you back on your opponent
       Better yet, turn the questions back on the Linux Advocate with a
       question like: "What do you think is the `right' answer, lamer?" You
       have now taken the heat off of your ignorance and you have cast doubt
       on the credibility of your opponent.

   17. Don't substantiate your claims
       Refuse to present evidence to support your invalid claims. Repeat your
       invalid claims and have your anti-Linux propagandist comrades do the
       same. Do the same for any invalid claims that you have notice your
       anti-Linux propagandists comrades make.

   18. Don't discuss evidence counter to your position
       Avoid examining or discussing evidence counter to your position. This
       is especially effective when combined with 3.2.8, Dancing Fool,
       wherein you change your position with every post.

   19. Present multiple personalities
       Change your position with every few article you post to
       comp.os.linux.advocacy. Appear to be supporting all sides of the
       issues. You can make a statements or opinion in one posting then
       follow it up with a another post with a contrary opinion. You can even
       get into an argument with yourself. This could cause readers to
       dismiss the subject of the thread.

   20. Narrow the scope of threads so that you can handle it. Narrow the
       scope of the issues that are being addressed in a thread to details
       you feel that you can refute, ridicule, or dismiss leaving the main
       issues unaddressed.

   21. Widen the scope of threads to swamp out the original issue.
       Widen the scope of the issues discussed in a thread to the point that
       the original issues are buried away and hopefully soon forgotten.

   22. Use invalid statistics
       Introduce statistics to try to hurt Linux, Linux Advocates, and/or the
       Linux community at large. Do not about them be valid or real. It would
       be nice if you can find those statistics on-line, but if you can't
       find any, invent them out of whole cloth.  If they are discredited,
       don't let that bother you, keep citing them. If you see a fellow
       anti-Linux propagandist using statistics, cite them as well, no matter
       their lack of validity.

   23. Lie
       Lie, lie, lie, lie.  If you do it often enough you may create the
       appearance of truth.

   24. Ignore dictionaries when they don't support you
       Rage against the use of dictionaries or other such documents, their
       use can only hurt you and expose your ignorance.

   25. Attack new posters who favor Linux
       Some of these Linux Advocates may be new to Linux and COLA. Show no
       mercy. Pounce upon their innocence with every single one of these
       tactics. If you are lucky you might turn them to your side, at the
       very least you may be able to drive them out of COLA and neutralize
       them as a threat.

   26. Attack typos and ignore the content of the message.
       Point out your opponent's grammatical flaws and spelling errors. By
       doing this you can concentrate on form while ignoring substance. This
       is a very handy method to discredit your opponent and by extension his
       position, without once again exposing your ignorance of the issues
       begin discussed in the thread.

   27. Use Spelling and Grammatical Errors to Distract
       Make statements like, "Why do you nea d to dbug the cernal? Is lienux
       not working agen!" When this tactic works, you have disarmed the
       supporters of Linux who have chosen to ignore you because of your
       idiot act, others may react to your style and fail to refute your
       disinformation. Meanwhile, you have posted your disinformation in
       support your cause.

   28. Start trolling threads
       Start threads with subjects like "Linsux Sux", "Linux fonts are bad",
       etc. Manufacture false evidence to back up your claims when possible,
       but don't worry that that is not important. All that is important is
       that you consume the efforts and resources of Linux Advocate as they
       try to refute your trolling threads and that you scare the new and
       casual readership of COLA.

   29. Unreasonably proclaim your reasonableness
       If your method to deliver anti-Linux propaganda is not among the more
       article style, you can try to claim to be reasonable. Of course if you
       really were reasonable, you would not be an anti-Linux propagandists
       in he first place; however, compared to your more radical comrades you
       may seem to be more reasonable. You can not be certain that the
       readership of COLA will accept your actions as being reasonable
       without your prompting them to think of you that way. So you need
       frequently mention how reasonable you are.

   30. Expose yourself on COLA.
       Post articles in COLA containing ASCII art depicting your body
       including your genitals, either in the message body or in the sig.
       Discuss your bodily functions and your bodily wastes, the more
       disgusting the better. It will tend to drive away more of the casual
       and new readers. The Linux Advocates who are frequent posters may
       become disgusted enough to avoid threads that you involve yourself in.

   31. If it makes Microsoft or Windows look bad call it a rumor
       Claim that anything that tends to make Microsoft or Windows look bad
       is an unfounded rumor and that you opponent is being unfair.  If the
       information is obscure enough claim that it is an urban legend, hoping
       that no one knows that many legends are based on fact.

   32. Promote Windows at every opportunity
       Microsoft Windows needs a lot of help to be successful in the mind
       share of its targeted user base. Point out to everybody on COLA how
       wonderful it is. Ignore the meaning of the name of the newsgroup and
       its charter.

   33. Claim false Alignment
       Remind Everyone that you are a long-time Linux user and advocate. Of
       course it is not true, so you will be accused of being what you really
       are.  When that happens and you are accused of working against Linux.
       Deny!  Deny! Deny!

   34. Use of false identities
       Create throw away identities to enter the newsgroup to spread discord
       and after a few days or weeks, stop using that identity. If you are
       losing an argument create a new identity to support the position of
       your main identity. If things are getting slow, create a few
       identities counter to your primary identity.  Start a n-on-1 argument
       with your primary identity being outnumbered.  Then have each of your
       new identities be convinced by your primary identity to the error of
       their ways.

   35. When thing get too hot go away
       When all else fails and things get too hot, disappear from the group.
       This is not as drastic as it sounds.  You might stay away for a few
       months and then return hoping that the other wintrolls have softened
       up the field a bit.  If you don't want to stay away at all.  Create a
       new primary identity and drop the use of the other one.

   36. Enter COLA as a sleeper.
       If you are a new anti-Linux propagandist, or at least your current
       false identity is new, then make your entrance as a dedicated Linux
       user. After a little while, claim to have seen the light and "convert
       back to Windows".  Then you can promote Windows all you want for a
       while, before your true nature is commonly known. Sometimes this works
       for several hours before you are shouted down and have to move on to a
       new identity or continue on as "normal" anti-Linux propagandist.

   37. Enter COLA as a false disgruntled Linux user.
       Create a throw away false identity to enter the newsgroup in order
       claim to be short or long term Linux users who "have had enough of
       Linux and are returning to Windows." Stir things up for a day or two
       and disappear forever.

   38. Never leave a Linux positive thread unchallenged.
       If there is a thread developing that is positive for Linux, hijack
       that thread at all cost.  Even if it means sacrificing your current
       identity.  One method to do this is to ramble on about other topics,
       with or without the use embedded insults.  Even if you fail to hijack
       the thread, you may be able to derail it enough to cancel the
       positive-for Linux-impact that it could have had.

   39. Lie about what you know
       Claim credit for experience, knowledge, or education that you do not
       have. It will impress readers who are not knowledgeable on the topic
       of the moment. Be careful to not engage someone who is truly
       knowledgeable on the subject in conversation or your actual ignorance
       will be exposed.

   40. Avoid providing any help.
       Because you claim to be such an expert so often, you may from time to
       time be asked for assistance.  Don't provide it, you would only
       destroy the image you have lied so long to create.  Treat an honest
       request based on a real situation as an argument: Restate the request
       for assistance in a real situation as a hypothetical situation that
       you can argue against.

   41. Use of Undefined Terminology
       Use terms such as "indoctrinated" as a substitute for "educated" or
       "experienced" when referring to a Linux Advocate.  Use "pedantic" in
       place of "correct", "precise", or "accurate" when referring to a Linux
       Advocate.  Create and use personal definitions such as "commercial
       quality" for impressive sounding terms to mislead the unwary.  But
       never share your definitions for your inappropriate terminology. This
       is commonly known as Troll-speak.

   42. Use fake email addresses.
       Use a fake email address, not just a de-spammed address like real
       advocates use, but a completely fake and made-up one. If you feel the
       need for the appearance of normality use a real appearing email
       address-maybe not one of yours, but you can try to explain your act of
       identity theft as an accident.

   43. Citing vapor postings
       Cite the statements that you had "intended" to include but never
       actual written into your past posting. Gamble on the possibility that
       nobody will remember what you posted and that nobody will do the
       research to determine what you have posted. If you loose that bet, use
       another disinformation tactic to deflect the results of your using
       this tactic.

   44. Use being an idiot as an excuse
       When you are criticized for using disinformation tactics, claim
       ignorance of the disinformation tactics and use your apparent idiocy
       as an excuse for your actions. Do the same for your comrades, when a
       Linux Advocate corners one of your fellow anti-Linux propagandists
       tell that advocate something like "What are you doing? It's only John
       Doe for goodness sake!"

   45. Criticize Linux Advocates but ignore anti-Linux propagandist
       transgressions
       Always criticize the behavior of Linux Advocates, but, ignore the same
       and even worse transgressions are being committed by your fellow
       Trespassers.

   46. Accept the claims of other anti-Linux propagandists as face value
       Always treat other anti-Linux propagandist's statements as being true.
       Accept their interpretations without question, don't bother verifying
       their statements. If they claim something against a Linux advocate
       always side with the anti-Linux propagandists.

   47. Don't do your own homework
       Make your opponent do your research for you. Depending on who much
       credibility you still have will determine how successful you will be
       at this tactic.

   48. Don't let your ignorance stop you from posting
       No matter how little you understand of the issues being discussed in a
       thread, post anyway. If you don't know what you are talking about just
       pretend that you do.

   49. Restate the issues to support your preconceptions
       If the issues being discussed in a thread are not exploitable by you
       for your purpose, restate the issues to support your ability to attack
       Linux Advocate opponent.

   50. Claim god like attributes
       Claim god like attributes, such as being all knowing. If you don't
       want to make that claim, behave as though you are, any way.

   51. Claim only you understand what the issues are.
       Claim and other wise present the attitude to imply that only you know
       what the issues really are. Attempt to project the attitude that would
       tend to discredit your opponent at the same time.

   52. Invoke the mythical average user
       Always use the mythical average users as your yardstick for usability.
       No matter what is being discussed about Linux, restate the abilities
       of the average users to fall short of that needed.

   53. Use extortion to build an army
       Use extortion against a group to generate an army of flunkies to do
       your bidding and do you fighting for you. Such as when things are not
       going the way you want in COLA, crosspost a threat in another
       newsgroup a thread of your intention of making thing miserable for
       them if they don't take up your battle for you. This is a dangerous
       tactic for you the anti-Linux propagandists. If they don't react the
       way you wanted them to, you will either have to forget it or you could
       carry our your threat. If you forget it, you will loose even more
       credibility. If you carry out your threat you will still loose
       credibility and you could open yourself up for reprisal from those
       your are hurting by carrying out your threat. Even if you do form your
       army, you will be held responsible for the results of their actions on
       your behalf. A recent case (as of this writing) of this tactic being
       used by a anti-Linux propagandists can be revived by reading the
       thread that resulted with the crossposting of Message-ID:
       ozub8.40974$Wf1.7452626@xxxxxxxxxxxxx to comp.os.linux.advocacy and
       comp.os.linux.misc.

   54. The devil made me do it
       When you are caught in a situation for which you can not explain you
       actions without a confession of your dishonesty and your alignment,
       blame it on someone else. Create a boogyman to take the blame. A
       variation of this tactic was used in the thread cited above, in which
       the failed extortionist blames all the Linux Advocates in COLA for
       forcing him into attempting extortion.