[News] On Security (or Lack Thereof) in Windows and Its Impact

IE ripe for attack, despite Microsoft claims

,----[ Quote ]
| A new security report from IBM Internet Security Systems (ISS)
| blames the increase on the "exploit as a service industry" wherem
| aterial is being increasingly sold using a traditional channel
| model. Also, half of websites that carry material designed toi
| nfect browsers are capable of camouflaging their attack.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/01/windows_vista_security/

I mentioned the study before. It is estimated that 100-150 million Windows
zombies exist (yes, under the full conrol of criminals). This has recently
taken our network down to its knees (10Mbit/sec turning to dial-up speeds),
unless the culprit is P2P.

Dutch botnet duo sentenced

,----[ Quote ]
| The prime suspect created the Toxbot Trojan and another Trojan
| called Wayphisher to infect 2.5 million computers.
`----                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/01/dutch_botnet_gang_sentenced/

London police can't cope with cybercrime

,----[ Quote ]
| Now the country's biggest police force says local forces' e-crime units
| cannot cope with the ever increasing amount of cybercrime.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/01/london_police_cybercrime/

Why Vista will take a back seat for a few years

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/01/vista_waiting_game/