[News] Vista from the Eyes of an Open Source Person (and Realted Articles Digest)

Seeing the Dawn of Vista by the Light of Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| The Key Distinction
|
| Perhaps the key distinction with Open Source and Windows Vista is
| that so many of the Open Source projects either are or derived their
| roots from highly skilled developers writing code on their own time.
| People motivated not by a paycheck but by something less tangible
| but perhaps more valuable.
|
| This is an area few of the marketing men can understand. But the
| motivations are a signifier that the Open Source revolution is
| not simply a hobbyist endeavour but a serious reflection on
| what software development and the industry as a whole is
| changing into.
`----

http://reallylinux.com/docs/lightofoss.shtml

Selected items on Vista (too hard to choose because there are plenty):

My Upgrade to Vista Took Three Days

,----[ Quote ]
| I tried doing an upgrade... FAILED... apparently CD Drive emulation
| software is not well liked by the Vista installer... so after 3
| reboots and several trips to the system registry the upgrade
| went through.
`----

http://jritch.wordpress.com/2007/02/01/my-upgrade-to-vista-took-three-days/

10 Reasons Not to Upgrade to Windows VISTA

,----[ Quote ]
| 1. Vista Requires a Fairly Powerful Machine
| 2. Application Incompatibilities
| 3. Vista is Crazy Expensive
| 4. No Hardware Audio
| 5. Vista Doesn't Work with a Lot of Bleeding-Edge Hardware
| 6. Vista Doesn't Work Well with Some Games
| 7. Vista Includes Consumer-Unfriendly DRM
| 8. Poor Driver Support
| 9. Vista is Kind of Annoying
| 10. You Can Wait
`----

http://www.olddogvt.net/downloads/VISTA-10-Reasons.htm

Why Does Windows Vista Get No Fanboys?

,----[ Quote ]
| A ton of stories I've read the past few days have been about
| Microsoft's new operating system, Windows Vista...but they
| haven't been about the software per se, instead they're
| mainly about the anti-climatic release of it. I can't help
| but wonder, why does Microsoft get absolutely no fanboy
| love like Apple does?
`----

http://www.parislemon.com/2007/01/why-does-windows-vista-get-no-fanboys.html

Other ones worth mentioning:

Is MS new "Vista" both garbage and dangerous?
http://www.talkleft.com/story/2006/12/28/19189/011

Why We Hate: Microsoft
http://fluix.net/why-we-hate/why-we-hate-microsoft/