Re: [News] Amid 'Vistaisation' of the Web, Microsoft Grabs Standards People

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, John A. Bailo
<jabailo@xxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 31 Jan 2007 23:10:06 -0800
<QcOdnbqnwLLWD1zYnZ2dnUVZ_vDinZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Former WaSP Interoperability Advocate Hired by Microsoft
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The lady who in September 2005 called Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer's
>> | claim in a BusinessWeek article that his company would eventually
>> | "win the Web"
>
> Win the web?  Ballmor would be lucky to win a Washington State scratch
> ticket.

Don't be too sure.  No doubt a lot of people laughed at
Hitler during the early part of his so-called "Thousand
Year Empire", when his ideas were confined to a beer hall.
They stopped lauging sometime between Kristallnacht and
Poland's Annexation.  (I forget which was first.)

Then again, I'm not sure that this is Microsoft's first try
at Winning The Web Over(tm).  At one point, if memory serves,
they wanted to use Visual Basic everywhere.  (They did end up
using VB in a lot of places, usually with IIS.  VB is probably
the most dominant Web server language, though Java and PHP are
trying their best.)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linux.  The choice of a GNU generation.
Windows.  The choice of a bunch of people who like very weird behavior on
a regular basis, random crashes, and "extend, embrace, and extinguish".